Old March 28th 09, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John

Default Vista external usb drive issue

Try using the HD as the only USB device connected. Try connecting it
directly to the MB USB socket. If more than 1 MB socket, try all of them,
one at a time. Check the Asus forums for anything about your MB's USB
devices.

"cugamer" wrote in message

Greetings all

I just build my first home built system, and I didn't screw it up .
I've installed Windows Vista Business 64 bit which I got for free since
I'm a student which is a plus and it's been mostly smooth sailing except
for one issue which is driving me insane. I have a WD 640gig external
HD and every time I connect it Vista searches for the drivers, and then
tells me it can't find any. I ask for help and it refers me to Western
Digital, who of course tells me that drivers aren't necessary or
available for this drive.

I've been searching for a solution for two days, and I've found various
tricks including manually pointing windows at my system32--drivers
folder, deleting and forging a recreation of my INFCACHE.1 file (six
times) and copying USBPORT files around. In desperation I've even
completely reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows. WD won't
help, Microsoft wants my credit card before they will talk to me and I'm
about to tear my hair out.

At this point I'm considering switching to XP 64 bit, I don't know what
else to do. I work technical support for at&t, I have 170 credits of
higher education and a subscription to Scientific American and I still
can't fix this. Any assistance anyone can offer would be greatly
appreciated.

My system specs:
Intel i7 2.66
Asus P6T LGS motherboard