DVD-RW won't read disk

Old October 27th 07, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris

Default DVD-RW won't read disk

I have a DVD-RW drive that I have used to record several CDs and DVDs.
Recently one of the DVDs will not open, the drive is reading it as a blank
disc. When I insert it in the drive, after a few seconds the Blank Disc
Options menu pops up. When I go to My Computer and click on the F Drive, it
reads the disk and then says "No Files". But when I first go to my computer
and look at the F Drive, it says 689 MB free of 4.38GB" so the files are
clearly there.

Problem only happens with the one DVD, all other CDs and DVDs that I've
recorded still open up just fine. The disc in question has not been dropped
/scratched/etc, nor has it been used in another machine.
Old October 27th 07, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rhlblue[_3_]

Chris;495683 Wrote:
I have a DVD-RW drive that I have used to record several CDs and DVDs.
Recently one of the DVDs will not open, the drive is reading it as a
blank
disc. When I insert it in the drive, after a few seconds the Blank Disc
Options menu pops up. When I go to My Computer and click on the F
Drive, it
reads the disk and then says "No Files". But when I first go to my
computer
and look at the F Drive, it says 689 MB free of 4.38GB" so the files
are
clearly there.

Problem only happens with the one DVD, all other CDs and DVDs that I've
recorded still open up just fine. The disc in question has not been
dropped
/scratched/etc, nor has it been used in another machine.

its clear that its related to ur media.....try to run it on another
machine....
if it doesn't works then its simple.......if it does then we can
discuss this new problem of Vista lol!

good luck

--
rhlblue
Old October 27th 07, 11:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Defective disk. Defective burn.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old October 28th 07, 05:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
WSantos

"Richard Urban" wrote:

Defective disk. Defective burn.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Hi Richard,
I'm having a similar problem. I have a new Gateway PC and the dvd/cd rw
doesn't read any disc I put in. Do you have any tip ?

Appreciate your help
thanx

Old October 28th 07, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

When you say "doesn't read" - exactly what are you saying? Does it not auto
start? Or, if you browse to a disk that you know has information upon it you
can not see the information.?

Old November 22nd 07, 12:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hey Lau

I have same problem too.
My one more worst, when I put DVD movie disc to driver, blue screen pop up.
And need to reset computer.

Some disc can read but some cannot, it show blank disc..
Please help..

Old December 16th 07, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jeff

I have a similar issue.

New behaviour here.

I have a DVD durner and DVD drive.

Burner will burn fine but will not read its own DVD - Window popup "Prepare
this blank disk".

Disk reads fine in DVD ROM drive.

DVD burner works both read/write under XP (Dual boot) system.

Using Roxio easy media creator 9.

Any ideas?

Old December 27th 07, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jeff

Has anyone come up with a solution to these problems?

I updated DVD drivers and still no fix.

I find it odd that the drive will burn fine - just cannot read in Vista
while it can/does read fine in XP (same drive).

Jeff

Old January 2nd 08, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

If it is an IDE cable to the drive consider replacing it. Some of the older
40-wire cables don't work right with Vista but the newer 80-wire ones
should.