Old April 29th 09, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave[_29_]

Default external hard drive

Start - Control panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management
Storage - Disk Management

or, in the Start search box, type diskmgmt.msc Enter

Here's a few tutorials...
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...te-extend.html

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
I know all about right clicking I do it all the time it can be a real
shortcut. You geniuses don't seem to understand that I need you to explain
how to do these things your all talking about. What the heck is drive
management I could not find it under help.

--

Walt
"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Walter,

All through your computer, by selecting an object etc., right clicking
gives you different options/choices of what you can do to that object.
Don't be afraid to experiment with the right click.

Now, right click on the empty space in drive management.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
Yeh but tell me how to do it!!

--

Walt
"Richard Urban" wrote in message
You are saying that you want to delete a partition. Are you certain
that it is not "Unallocated Space"" If it is as I suspect all you have
to do is create a partition in the unallocated space and format the
partition.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
There is no delete partition in there. I opened drive manager and went
to Disk drives/chose Generic USB Disk USB Device and right clicked. No
delete partition. Also opened computer and right clicked on that
drive. No delete partition. Only format and a few other things.
Where's delete partition at because a format alone won't fix the
drive?
--

Walt
"Richard Urban" wrote in message
You work with an external drive the same as you would work with an
internal drive. Use drive manager! Go to the drive and right click on
the visual representation of the drive. You will see options there.
Delete partition / create partition / format partition.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Walter Goldschmidt" wrote in message
How do you delete partitions on a external hard drive. I'm assuming
your telling me to do that first and then format it?

--

Walt
"Malke" wrote in message
Walter Goldschmidt wrote:

I tried to format drive afterwords but it still didn't function
properly.

There is no way for me to know what you did or the state of the
drive by
reading about it in a newsgroup. I suspect that you didn't realize
that you
need to completely delete all partitions and create new ones before
you
attempted a format. I've had an external drive be corrupted and it
took a
bit of doing to get it back in shape so I could format it and use
it again.
The drive was *physically* fine.

Malke
--