Old May 21st 09, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon[_9_]

Default Getting Programs to Work Using Old Hard Drive

"Jim in Spokane" wrote in message
Dear Gordon,

I would think otherwise because it only seems reasonable that I paid for
the
software and I ought to be able to continue using it. Why is that
illogical
or wrong? I tried re-installing the programs as you suggested, but little
messages with obscure objections kept popping up --- such and such is
missing, etc. --- and nothing works. Maybe it's because the software was
designed for Windows 98 and I'm using Windows Vista. I'm sure you know
better than I as to why none of this works, but I'm guessing the root
cause
is the desire of Microsoft to sell more software. Understanding this and
assuming that is what I need to do, I'm willing to pay. But the software
that's offered is so different from what I'm used to in the case of MS
Word
that there's no point. So are you're telling me there is no solution to
my
problem?

There may be a solution. As you have found out - there can be problems
installing and running old legacy programs in Vista. (Certainly programs
designed for Windows 98 - that's two versions ago and XP was MUCH more
forgiving to legacy software).
What you need to do is to do Start-Help and Support and in the search box
type in "Compatibility" (without the quotes). One of the options that comes
up (it's no 6 on mine) is
"Make older programs run on this version of Windows". Read that and see if
that helps.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level