Hard drive light constantly flashing ,reading hard drive during id

Old November 5th 07, 09:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sid

Default Hard drive light constantly flashing ,reading hard drive during id

I need some answers to a question, actually an answer or opinion. I have a
dual boot machine XP/Vista Home Prem. , This is a pretty fast machine with
plenty of horsepower to run Vista. Gigabyte Mobo, Athlon 64 X2 4400+ chip,
4gb OCZ 800mhz. RAM, plenty of cooling and I'm not overclocking the processor
or anything like that. During system IDLE the HD light is constantly flashing
and I can hear it reading the HD. I have a IDE 160GB primary HD cut in half
and each partition has plenty of extra space after all software was
installed. A secondary SATA 300mbs 320 GB drive for DATA. It did not do this
after I initially installed both systems and got them up and running using
Vistas boot manager with Vista as the default.
I just need to know where to start looking. I have had this problem before
but only when I did not have enough system resources on the HD or RAM when I
had a dual boot OS/2 / Windows 95 machine long ago. OS/2 was just too much
for it and it constantly read the HD, I assume reading and writing to the
sys.pagefile due to lack of enough memory.
Anyone know where to start looking with this much information? If you need
to know all of the software installed I can get that together with no problem.
Thanks In Advance for the help, Sid

--
Sid
"The farce be with you"
Old November 12th 07, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

The hard drive is working constantly because Vista is indexing the
drive. It should stop after a few days, depending on how many files you
have. It makes searches a lot faster. But, initially, you will notice a
lot of hard drive activity.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Old November 13th 07, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sid Saxon

Default Hard drive light constantly flashing ,reading hard drive durin

Thanks for the reply. I have been running Vista on the machine for a few
months. Would that still be what is happening?
I thought about turning indexing services off. So I did anhd it cut down
most of it. Now it is just a short flash about every 1 to 2 sec.
-Sid

Old November 19th 07, 04:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Tuttle

Sid wrote:
[...]

You might also try stopping the Superfetch service. Set it to manual
start instead of automatic.
Old November 25th 07, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Justin

Sid,
I have this same situation on a fresh install of XP Pro - no drivers or any
new software yet. I've haven't seen this on any of the workstations at work.
It looks like many people have this problem, by looking at other posts.
Did you find a way to stop the HDD writes?

Justin

Old May 11th 08, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
4evrnyt

I am having the same issue with Vista 64-bit but I've turned off
indexing and superfetch and the hard drive is still running all the
time when I'm not doing anything on the computer.

What is there to disable to get it to stop doing this?

--
4evrnyt
4evrnyt's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48926

http://forums.techarena.in

Old May 11th 08, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

You don't stop it!

Vista is nearly always doing something. It is much easier to get used to it.
It is not particularly harmful, and mostly it is beneficial. It may be
managing a paging file, or it may be tracking program usage so that most
used programs will be loaded on the fastest part of the disk during defrag,
it may be defragging, or perhaps Windows Defender is running, or the upgrade
manager, or the reliability tracking indicator, or it may be making shadow
copies, or phoning home, or checking for updates, or checking for problem
solutions, or.... You get the idea! It may not even be Vista running, as
today nearly every program wants to check for updates.

Instead of stopping what you are doing to run all these utilities, Vista
runs them in the background with no intervention on your part and also
almost no impact on the processor, and you go on about your business with no
worries.

Old May 11th 08, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

On another point, you generally run a 64 bit version for improved
performance. Turning off prefetch is a sure way to slow down the system. If
you are performance oriented, enable it.

Have fun.

Old May 11th 08, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

How much memory do you have? If you have 2GB or less then I am not
surprised the hard drive runs constantly and it still will no matter what
you turn off. It is paging to virtual memory on the hard drive. The
solution is to add more memory so that the system does not have to keep
moving things back and forth.

Old May 11th 08, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
4evrnyt[_2_]

3gb.

it usually starts when the computer is just sitting idle. Internet
Explorer doesnt' seem to interrupt it but If I start a game it usually
stops. If I go into sleep mode, the hard drive will continue to run
almost immediately after waking it up. i also have turned off
powerboost.