Old June 22nd 09, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike311

Default Puzzle - External HDD Disk Management Error

Yes, it appears as a USB connected external hard drive in the BIOS and
device manager sees it as an Ext Hard Drive Dsk or something like that.
It looks like everything's fine to that point, but for some reason, Disk
Management "Initialize Disk" is giving an error "Incorrect Function".

I do not think the drive is formatted/partitioned at all. There is no
such option to format or "Import Foreign Disk" or anything besides
"Initialize Disk" (which gives an error) and Properties and Help on the
right-click menu in disk management for the drive. Reading the help
file a little, I tried some random things, but there is a lot there and
little seems to apply to my situation. I used diskpart to list disk
and saw that it is listed as disk 1 and is online but has 0 GB.

Perhaps I can try to use command line DOS programs to form
partition/format the disk?

My strategy right now is try to do anything I can to get it
partitioned/formatted with the USB and work on the eSATA once that is
done. I imagine it will be fine then, but if not, I may try the
suggestion about connecting it directly to the mobo SATA.

Any other ideas? Need more info? Please help!

--
Mike311