Old July 9th 09, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Ancient Gamer

Default xbox 360 windows media center won't connect wirelessly

oldguy99;1203424 Wrote:
Hi, 2 years ago bought a laptop with vista Home premium, and xbox360 was
automatically recognized. I set up nothing and it worked fine, and
wirelessly.
That laptop died and I got a new one, this time I had to set everything
up, for XP Media Center/xbox 360 and got it to work, but it will only
work if my laptop is wired, it won't work wirelesly. I still have Home
Premium, I think the new laptop is still Wireless G, so how can I get
Windows Media Center to work on the xbox 360 without having the laptop
wired to the router? The xbox360 is wired, not wireless, thanks for any
help!

Yes oldguy, I have the same problem as well. My laptop running XP SP3
died. I have been streaming videos, music, and pictures, without the use
of Media Center for a couple of years now. I never had to do any port
forwarding, DMZ, etc. to get my XP laptop (that I bought at Wal-Mart in
2004!) to connect to my 360.

I replaced my old laptop with A Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965 with AMD
Atlon Dual Core QL-65 3GB Ram, and have Windows Firewall off and Comodo
Internet Suite installed. I have forwarded all the recommended ports
through both my router WRTG2 and Comodo firewall. I have disabled all of
my firewall and A/V and still can't connect.

Quite simply, if I plug the computer into the router, everything works
just fine. Media player 11, sharing to the 360 is set. ICS is off. As
soon as I unplug...absolutely zero connection. The PC can clearly see
the XBOX 360 in both MP 11 sharing section and in Network Magic Network
Map. I have full xbox live connectivity, and full internet connectivity
on my new laptop. But the 360 just flat out refuses to connect to
Windows Vista Home Premium via a wireless connection. Its as if
Microsoft deliberately coded Windows Vista Home Premium to not connect
wirelessly...even though it is a laptop.

What makes things even more frustrating is that my fiancees old XP SP3
laptop is recognized by the 360 as soon as it is fired up. And I am
using Comodo Internet Suite on her laptop, using the same router, with
absolutely ZERO modifications to the firewall a/v settings.

It is sad to say, but I feel as if Vista has completely let me down. It
is useless to me if it cannot do what its XP predecessor did better.

I don't even care about Media Center. I just want to stream the music,
videos, and pictures to my 360 like I used too.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem please let me know.

Does anyone know if Windows 7 has this same issue as well?

Thank You,
Seriously Frustrated Gamer of 35 Years and Windows user since 3.11

--
Ancient Gamer