Old July 11th 09, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Woody

Default Hardware fails to install

What registry cleaner did you use and did it have any restore options? That
is what usually starts these problems. Try a restore point from before the
problem started.

"Fish-Man" wrote in message

Hi,
I have 2 problems, (which are probably permission issues, and I believe
to be related) that I can't resolve, and I am hoping that someone can
help me.
1. If I right click the desktop and choose Personalise, I get an error
box with:

[Window Title]
::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}
[Content]
Windows cannot find
'::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}'.
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
[OK]

but the 'Control Panel Personalisation' page opens as normal.
I also get the same problem with any other control Panel right clicks.
The error pop-up can also happen at other times:

[Window Title]
Explorer.EXE
[Content]
Windows cannot find ''. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and
then try again.
[OK]

2. I cannot install new hardware. I have just tried to connect a HP
officejet printer using the latest downloaded drivers, but the driver
installation fails, giving an error window with:

Fatal error during installation.

Then:

Found New Hardware - HP Printer
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your
device.
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error
while attempting to install it.

The error number returned was 1603, so I went to HP's site and followed
'this workaround'
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...&dlc=en&cc=uk),
but that didn't work.
As a test, I uninstalled my fully working Epson scanner, and tried
installing it again, but it failed with the same error as the HP
printer.
I do not have any restore points because every time I tried another
idea to install the printer, the installation program created a new
restore point, so now I only have loads of useless HP created resore
points left.
I have checked the whole computer with Avast!, Kaspersky, Ad-Aware,
SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D - all come back clean.
Tried sfc /scannow - OK
Tried logging on with THE administrator account, and with MSConfig
disabling as much as possible - same failure.
Using Vista Ultimate x64 SP2

Regards,

--
Fish-Man