Old August 4th 09, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Default Vista 64 Bit - Cannot Boot With 3 Hard Disks

I'd go along with the others and say a PSU issue. i have four SATA hard
drives in my PC, along with a BluRay optical drive and a couple of USB SATA
drives, used for weekly backup, and it never fails to boot. On top of that
I have a Canon scanner that is entirely powered from the USB port, two
printers, wireless mouse/keyboard, Hauppauge HDPVR, etc etc. Oh and a smart
card reader. 850w PSU, 8gb RAM, Q9550. On my test PC I have six hard
drives, again all SATA and a couple of optical drives. That one has 12gb
and an i7 920 CPU, Corsair 850w PSU. Again, never fails to boot.

What is the wattage and make of your PSU. You want a decent manufacturer
and a decent wattage. Skimping on either will only lead to tears before
bedtime.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"SomeoneX" wrote in message

Hello,

I have just installed Vista Ultimate 64 Bit (on my 500 GB Seagate hard
disk, the main hard disk).

Then, I added 2 more hard disks (a 1 TB Hitachi and another 500 GB
Seagate), so now I have 3 SATA hard disks installed.

However, Vista cannot start. Sometimes, it stuck on the boot screen
(the one with the scrolling green bar), sometimes it just show black
blank screen.

I then tried to disconnect, completely, the 2 hard disks I just
installed. Vista can boot properly, I can access my data from both hard
disks without problem.

When only the 1 TB Hitachi and the main hard disk are connected, Vista
can boot properly and I can access my data from both hard disks without
problem.

When only the other 500 GB Seagate and the main hard disk are
connected, Vista can boot properly, I can access my data from both hard
disks without problem.

However, if I connect the 3 hard disks at the same time, vista doesn't
want to boot. I already installed the SATA controller driver from the CD
that comes with the motherboard.

Also, Safe Mode doesn't help.

My system spec:
- Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
- Processor: Intel Core2Duo Dual Core 2.4 Ghz
- RAM: 4 GB (4x1 GB) DDR2
- Graphic Card: Nvidia 8800GTS, from ASUS
- 2 DVD Writers (LG and Sony), both IDE
- 1 Floppy Disk Drive

Please help me. I really need to connect them all because they all
contain data.

Thanks.

--
SomeoneX