Old August 27th 09, 12:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pbl

Default External HDD Plug & Play Problem

Connected to my notebook via a powered hub are two external drives . I have
it configured such that when I return from work I plug in the USB hub open
my notebook lid and the external drives are immediately recognised and fire
away. I have never had to reboot and it has worked well for 6 months. Then 3
days ago for no apparent reason my notebook would not display either of the
drives under Start | Computer. Rebooting fixes this problem but is a pain
(this takes several minutes at the moment). Curiously under the Device
Manager both drives are shown and under Properties for each is displayed
"This device is working properly." I have tried plugging the hub into a
different USB port to no avail and I have tried plugging each drive directly
into the notebook bypassing the hub. This results in the notebook
recognising new hardware and successful installation but again the drive
doesn't show. Any ideas on how to sort this problem out? Many thanks. pbl