Old September 2nd 09, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard G. Harper

Default Coping whole HD's without cloning.

I use BootIT NG and the similar/derived "Image for DOS and Windows" programs
on Vista partitions all the time, no problem. It's my preferred system of
backing up and restoring my systems.

"Billkalbo" wrote in message
Unfortunately, this looks WAY too old to trust with a Vista
implementation.

I have not looked in depth, but it appears to be a utility that you boot
(we'll run into RAID driver issues) and not a native Vista utility that I
can run from the booted OS.

Who's got a better solution??? I know many people have run into this issue
so I'm sure there is a solution

Kalbo

"Badger" wrote in message
BootIt NG can copy and paste any partition or whole hard drives to
another drive or unallocated space.

"Billkalbo" wrote in message
I have a system with Vista Home Basic and Vista Ultimate (dual boot). I
have a RAID 5 with 4 500 gb drives that is partitioned into 2 500 gb
drives. I also have a SATAII 500 gb and 1gb drive installed.

I'm upgrading all the drives to all 1.5 GB drives.

I can juggle drives in and out of the system so I can always have a
clean 1.5gb to move data onto.

What is the best software to clone/copy the data, without error, and not
have to end up with the original 500gb partition on the 1.5 TB drive?

I've used the basic copy methods in Windows for years but I always get
some error that stops the copy and then I have to go back and try to
figure out just where it left off and do manual partial copies. What a
pain in the butt plus you are never sure that you got everything.

The other catch that I might run into with some of your solutions is
that if it requires a reboot with a CD or whatever, I may or may not be
able to see the RAID. This would have to be run in native Vista. I can
reboot into any OS required, as long as I can see the RAID.

Just in case this helps, I have a pre-release version of Windows 7 that
I never installed on this PC that might be a possible avenue.

Regards,

Kalbo

Anarchism
Liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion
Liberation of the human body from the dominion of property
Liberation from the shackles and restraint of government.
Anarchism stands for a social order based on the free grouping of
individuals

(I know who wrote this and she, yes, she was not a geek but she should
have been)