Missing DVD Burner

Old December 2nd 07, 03:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tronix

Default Missing DVD Burner

Alright, well, let me explain how I got up to this point. Mostly it was my
fault but Windows is being stubborn on letting me fix it. I'm the type of
person that will grab every update listed within Windows Update. Since I
have Vista Ultimate, this "grab everything" habit applied to the Extras area
as well. So, yes, I grabbed all the Language Packs. After these language
packs were installed I noticed a horrible boot time started to occur. It
seriously took anywhere between 45 to 60 minutes just to get to the green
progress bar. I looked around online and noticed a few mentions of the
Language Packs causing a slow boot time. So, I uninstalled them all and hid
them in the Windows Update area. Well, this got my boot time down to 10
minutes. A big improvement but still horrible. I then enabled OS Boot
Information so that I could see what drivers were hanging to see where the
slow booting was coming from. Again, all this slowness occured BEFORE the
green progress bar appeared. Once that appeared, everything ran smoothly. I
found the driver file PxHelp20.sys was the one causing the big delay. I
looked online on what this file did and all that ever kept coming up was
Roxio tools. I don't use any of their software but I do use Nero. So, I
figured it had something to do with that. So, I dove down to where that file
was located and added the extenstion .tmp to the file name and rebooted.
Well, what do you know, from the time I hit that power button to me staring
at my desktop, only 15'ish seconds have passed.

I was happy and figured I fixed my issue UNTIL I found out that my DVD
Burner was not being listed anymore. Here are the steps I have taken to try
and get my DVD Burner recognized again:

- Opened Device Manager (Burner IS listed but has ! next to it) and
uninstalled it, then rebooted. Back in the desktop, windows finds the new
hardware but is unable to install it. I get: "Windows found driver software
for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it."
below "Access is denied."

- Removed .tmp from PxHelp20.sys, uninstalled the device Device Manager,
rebooted, same error as above.

- Searched online and found some KB article (lost the link) of removing a
Upper and Lower entry from the registry, rebooted, same error as above. (I
have since put those values back in the registry)

If anyone is wondering, I AM logged in as administrator and the name of the
device that is found by Windows is: SONY DVD RW DRU-720A. Any help will be
greatly appricated. I'm trying everything I can so that I won't have to
format and reinstall Windows.

--
- Patrick Vinson
- http://scyanidegaming.com
Old December 3rd 07, 06:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tronix

As a small update, I've had no progress on fixing this. I recently got the
message saying because of Hardware changes I will need reactivate windows
within 2 days. =/ I bought Vista and I'm not worried about the activation;
however, I shouldn't have to reactivate when I'm (an admin) denied access to
reinstall the DVD device drivers. o_0
--
- Patrick Vinson
- http://scyanidegaming.com

Old December 3rd 07, 01:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes

Follow the fix in the below MS KB. Ignore the KB Header concerning the issue as listed,

Fix the Upper and Lower filters as described in the fix and you should get your DVD burner back and listed

Peter

Old December 3rd 07, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tronix

I actually have already tried this step. I'll check it and try again once I
get home, currently at work right now.

I will say that later on last night, I found out how to enable the real
administrator account and I logged in through there. I no longer got an
"Access is denied" message; however, I was still unable to install the
drivers for the device. I kept getting a message along the lines of "No
drivers found". I can't remember the exact wording but basicaly it was
unable to find drivers on Windows Update. So, does this mean the only
drivers available for this device is on the Vista DVD? I have looked on
SONY's site but since this model is a few years old they apparently don't
have the drivers listed up on the site any longer.

I will admit, I have yet to physically take the device out of the case and
unplug it. I could do that then startup windows then shut down again and
plug it back in; however, I have my doubts on that actually working.

As mentioned earlier, I'll try that method of removing the Upper and Lower
filters again maybe I overlooked something when I did it the first time.
--
- Patrick Vinson
- http://scyanidegaming.com