Old January 16th 10, 02:22 PM
geo jr. geo jr. is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo jr. View Post
hi bob,
after a day connected, i lost connection from wifi here in my home. was using wifi at the time. i think i tried all your suggestions, but couldn't figure out how to "ping default gateway". in order, here's what i did do:
ran ipconfig/all and got this for the wireless side-

Connection-specific DNS Suffix- Belkin
Description- Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adaptor
physical address: 00-24-2C-43-7C-D8
DHCP Enabled- Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled- Yes
IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.94(Preferred)
Subnet Mask- 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained-Thur Jan 14, 2010 1:51:39 pm
Lease Expires- Mon Feb 21, 2146 8:40:20pm
Default Gateway 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers 192.168.2.1
NebBIOS over Tcpip- Enabled
next, when i saw that the IP wasn't 169.254.x.x., i went into a command prompt typed: ping -t, and it went on endlessly. looked to me like it was succeeding every few milliseconds, indefinitely, til i closed the window. then i pinged 4.2.2.1. with the same result, and went on to ping some web sites, including chicagotech.net, and google.com. same result. different IPs were coming up for each one, so i interpretted that as successful, but as these were my first 'ping' experiences, i may be completely wrong.
is there a way to 'save' all the info in a cmd prompt? lotta typing involved.
well, i don't know what this all means, but if is does to you, i'd be delighted to know. will try anything. thanx again for the attention, really appreciate it.
george

bob,
lost connection again last nite (1.15.2010), and followed your steps. i think this info i'm leaving is more accurate, as i've figured out the pinging routine. here's what happened:

ipconfig/all info same as previously reported.
able to ping default gateway
able to ping 4.2.2.1
unable to ping comcast.net
request timed out 4x
able to ping yahoo.com
avg=57ms ttl=50
able to ping google.com
av=43ms

then again, after a few minutes:

able to ping default gateway
avg=16ms
able to ping 4.2.2.1
avg=40ms
able to ping google.com
av=43ms
able to ping yahoo.com
avg-60

thunderbird able to send and receive
when i tried to repair the network, got "windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically".

so that's what i know. thanx again in advance to any and all help,
george