Old January 30th 10, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
melstring

Default Spider solitaire unbelievable score

I too have a question about a very high score of 1910.

It is easy to get caught up in the game and ignore the scoring if you
are not playing towards a high score rather than win percentage. At the
intermediate level the scoring allows only up to 1300 points as far as I
can tell. You begin with 500 points and points are deducted for each
move or undo you play. You are awarded 100 points for each suit stack”
that is completed (8 are available) for a total of 800 added to your
score at the bottom to reach your final score in a successfully played
game. At any point your moves and your score will equal 500 points plus
100 point for any suit stack completed. A good score seems to be
anything around 1250 meaning it took 50 moves to win the game. Once you
have played over 500 moves things are not so straight forward. Beyond
500 moves you get into negative points that are, for some reason, reset
to zero when you place your next undo move. You also are given your
beginning score of 500 points back at some point in all this mess. I
have never played past 1300 moves that I have made a note of but I am
sure I have done so at some point. *-Somehow I have a high score of 1910
which I did not catch when I scored it and I don’t see how this can be-.
-I have played some very, very long games and have noticed at some point
you get your beginning score-count of 500 back. Could that be it? Is it
possible I was awarded extra points for an unusually “short move” game
won? I would really like to understand this. Can anyone tell me why or a
present a maybe why?-*
Using the unlimited undo function I have found I can win 98% of up to
around 400 games. If you are willing to play any game for quite a while
practically every game can be won if you don’t have a life. I've
averaged 100% of 100 games played just for grins with no re-deals. Took
a picture of my statistics box with my phone and sent it to my friends
who could not have cared less and pondered an intervention. Screw them.
Right now I am 563 out of 610 for a 92% win ratio but I have not been
trying very hard for the last 75 games or so. I do not select the hands
I play. I play every deal. A good way to increase your average is to be
selective about which deals you play.

Another note: the cards do not seem to show the statistical spread
expected. If you deal a hand with a lot of 3s and 7s you would not
expect to see any more for a while but the opposite seems to be the
case. Play a hand with a lot of any card in the beginning deal and you
will see an unusual number of that same card in the first quarter of the
game. I have not done the math but this does not make sense to me. Is
there anyone else who has noticed this? If so, any insight?

--
melstring