Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS

Old December 6th 07, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
charger19690

Default Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS

Bought a new Dell with Windows Vista 32 bit. Bought a Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS
card for the S-Video out for TV display.

Between PNY, the manufacturer of the card and Nvidia's website, they both
say that the full-screen feature to watch movies on the TV is unsupported
because of the Windows Vista Platform.

Is there any news of when or how to get Vista to play video to a TV output
on a video card. My old system under XP with a Geforce2 MX card worked great?

Old December 6th 07, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Are you using Media Center or another TV application?
What resolution is your PC desktop set to? I ask because only some graphic
cards will output an S-Video image of 1024x768 and most are limited to a
desktop resolution of 800x600.

Old December 6th 07, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
charger19690

Curious,

I am using Realplayer. This card will show my desktop, but upon using a
video, it will not utilize a full screen feature independent.

My old computer with the Geforce2 MX had a feature with Video Overlay, that
when using full screen mode, it would overlay the video on the TV S-link. It
worked great on the old system because you could set each display, monitor
and tv, different, but the Video Overlay Full-Screen feature would shoot the
video on both according to their independent resolutions.

I think if i clone the connection across both it may work, but each time I
would have to adjust the computer monitor resolution after using the feature,
cumbersome, and not the best way to do it.

Thanks,

Old December 7th 07, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
charger19690

I guess that is what I figured out after the fact in purchasing a graphics
card that is "Made for Windows Vista", kind of makes a person mad when the
advertisement for the card says everything from "Made for Vista" and all of
the S-Video output. Leads a person to believe that everything should just
work fine. Not the case in this situation.

I guess all I would like to know, if this feature will ever be enable or
supported in Vista???

Thanks.

Old December 7th 07, 06:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

AFAIK overlay will never be implemented in Vista. I would still like to know
what resolution you have your PC desktop set to since S-Video may work with
it if is 800x600 or possibly 1024x768.

Old December 8th 07, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
charger19690

curious,

my monitor is set to 1280 x 800 and my tv s-video is set for 1024 x 768.

each work as a stretched desktop configured separately. In cloned view, they
both default to the TV set 1024 x 768 resolution, so if I want to watch a
movie I could by switching to cloned mode and using the 1024 x 768
resolution, then, being that I like the 22" flat panel at the 1280 x 800
configuration, I would have to switch it back after the fact.

My argument is not that it will not period, my argument is that it doesn't
work like the XP platform with the "Full-Screen" overlay support.

That is why I am asking if this will ever be made better?

I am guessing it will not.

They promote this card with the S-link for DVD and HD experience, but not as
useful and simple as was the old XP platform. That full-screen overlay
feature was great for TV applications.

"Curious" wrote:

The new Vista graphics do not support Overlay.
news Curious,

Old December 8th 07, 06:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

If they are in the right resolution when in extended desktop mode why don't
you start the movie on whichever part of the desktop you want to see it on?

Old December 9th 07, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
charger19690

well that's basically what I will do in order to watch a movie now. My reason
for my posting was to find out if the Full-Screen overlay feature was ever
gonna be in able, then you could have each set at different resolutions. Now
i would have to set them the same, which isn't the problem, the nuisance is
rearranging my icons after switching it back....lol....

The Full-Screen overlay was a nicely supported feature in XP, I hope they do
something to bring it back.

Old December 9th 07, 12:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

It is so easy to drag and drop an icon from one display to the other with
extended desktop that I am surprised that you would rather have what many
consider the poorer video quality of video when using overlay mode.