Old May 5th 10, 04:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
mcscotty

Default KMS Client Activation returns 0xC004F039 error

I had the same problem with the 0xC004F039 error

After some poking around, I discovered that enabling the KMS server
process DOES NOT automatically open the port in the firewall that allows
the server to accept activation requests (on a 2008 R2 server at
least).

Looking in the firewall config, there was a "Key Management Service"
rule, but it was not activated, so the firewall was blocking all KMS
requests. Once I activated the firewall rule, allowing KMS traffic
through, everything worked properly.

I bet half of the people having trouble with a new KMS server trip over
this same problem.

--
mcscotty