French Characters in Word

Old December 12th 07, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jacqueline M

Default French Characters in Word

When I type in MS Word certain keys are showing up as French characters. I
have a Toshiba laptop and the French characters are printed on the keys in
red, but in all other programs the keys work just fine. For example, the
question mark key comes up ? here just fine, but in MS word it shows up as a
capital E with an apostrophe over it. HOW do I turn it off?
Old December 12th 07, 05:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Walraven[_3_]

I do not have a French keyboard so this is just general information!

To change options for languages and keyboards go to Control Panel, select
Clock Language and Region.
Regional and Language Options

here you can customize your system for your language and regional
preferences, including keyboard layouts.

Michael
Vista Home premium

Old December 12th 07, 05:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jacqueline M[_2_]

I've done that, and I "removed" all of the other languages other than US
English. There was Multilingual Canadian and French Canadian on there too.
It's so frustrating. I can't put any question marks or quotes or apostrophes
in any of my word documents. And I wouldn't say that my keyboard is a French
keyboard, but it's more French than others I guess. I've searched around on
my keyboard hardware thing and also in word, but I can't find anything. Any
other suggestions?
Old December 12th 07, 06:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Walraven[_3_]

Not really, there is an auto-correct feature and a language detection
feature in Word 2007. That might be having an effect.
The options are in the Word option/proofing area. In an American english
setup it converts things like (c) to © (copyright symbol). I suppose that if
it determines that your are typing in French (takes a couple of sentences
apparently) it could convert the keys for you. If that is part of the
problem then you should be able to use the 'undo' key (control-z)
immediately after the 'correction' and the 'correction' would be removed.

Michael

Old March 7th 08, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Graeme

If this is a problem in Word 2007 and it is only happening in Word then try
the following steps. Look down in the bottom left hand corner of the word
document. You will find "Page 1 of 1 (or similar numbers), Words: 0 (or
different number), English (followed by whatever country you have chosen in
brackets)". Click on the language once and a menu will pop up offering you
all the different languages. English(United States) you won't give you this
problem and it is usually caused by English(Canada) etc.

Old March 31st 08, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Betty L

I too experience my keyboard reverting to French for some unknown reason. I
have a Toshiba Satellite. This has happened to me numerous times. It not
only occurs when using MS Word, but also when I am sending emails. It does
not allow me to type @, but types " instead. When I type a question mark, I
get a french e with the accents. There are french designations in red, on
some of my key, but there is nothing that I am doing that I know of that
turns it on or off - it just seems to do it on it's own.

Old May 10th 08, 04:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
wretchedrachel

Left ALT + SHIFT

took me a while to figure it out but thats what worked for me. if you
did it again it would change back to the french e

--
wretchedrachel
Old January 6th 09, 07:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
gclawyers

i have the same problem with wordperfect (anyone heard of that
program?). to turn off french characters press ctrl + shift. you may
have to do it a couple of times or hold it down.

--
gclawyers
Old February 22nd 09, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rothwellsmith

this totally happened to me as well and the ctrl + shift on the left
hand side fixed it. it took a couple times of holding it down to finally
get it to not enter the french keys - arrrr dem francais.

--
rothwellsmith