Old February 19th 10, 09:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Technician

Default how to make a folder password protected?

I wonder why nobody replied the question on password protecting folders.
I am not sure if the post author is still interested in the answer but I
guess a reply may still be useful if you find this post when searching
the forum. I always search for an answer before posting a question. So
here you are.

Windows does not allow you to password protect a particular folder. You
can only password protect your Windows account (which is good). To lock
particular folders, you have to use a third-part software. There was one
from Microsoft called Private Folder, but, unfortunately, it was
discontinued. Currently I use Folder Password Expert. It is simple and
efficient, which is why I like it. This is a link to the official web
site:
'How to Password Protect Folders in Windows 7, Vista, XP, 98, NT, ME'
(http://www.folder-password-expert.com)

Another program I considered was 'Folder Protection'
(http://www.folder-protection.com). It is pretty good but I still prefer
the wizard interface of Folder Password Expert.

This was my two cents. Hope this helps.

--
Technician