Old February 23rd 10, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

Default vista 32 bit does not backup .exe files & shortcuts

I just finished reinstalling my vista box to out of the box new. I used
vista 32 bit home premium backup and restore that came with the vista
operating system to backup and restore all my stuff. It all went well
except I discovered that vista 32 bit backup and restore does not backup
..exe files and convenience shortcuts I made for quick access to hidden
AppData folders. Every .exe file in my "download" folder was gone when I
restored it from using vista 32 restore. All the other file types were
there just fine in my download folder. I am glad I did a direct zip
backup just in case.

I read through all the vista help files. Under "What file types are not
included in my backups?" it listed "Program files". I interpreted that
files in the "C:\Program Files" folder and sub-folders would not be backed
up which, would certainly be a reasonable exclusion. I did not interpret it
as all .exe files.

I like vista 32 bit home premium backup and restore. It is simple and basic
and most of all, automatic daily incremental backup. I just set it and
forget it. Also, with the exception of .exe files, it is reliable.

With that all stated, my question is: How do I or can I set vista 32 bit
home premium backup and restore to include .exe and shortcuts to hidden
folders without extra steps like putting my "download" folder in a zip file
every time I add to it? Or do I need to use a different backup app like the
free versions of GFI Backup or FBackup or Cobian Backup or Toucan?

Thanks for your help

Bob