Old December 23rd 09, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default tool to identify processes accessing hard drive

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:05:17 -0800, "John A Grandy"
johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com wrote:

Vista Ultimate SP2
Toshiba Satellite x205-sli4

I need a tool that will tell me which processes are accessing the hard disk.

My system is madly accessing the hard drive, even after reboot with no
foreground processes running, but Task Manager does not show any significant
CPU activity ( just dwm.exe , taskmgr.exe ).

You can use Task Manager and add I/O reads and writes to what you are
viewing. Then click on them to sort by I/O and you'll see what
program is doing it.