Old January 14th 10, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Default Frequent Loss of Internet, Wired + Wireless

This is not easy case. Let' try these steps:

1. When you loss the Internet connection, run ipconfig /all and make sure
the IP is not 169.254.x.x.
2. Ping the default gateway.
3. If you can ping the default gateway, ping 4.2.2.1.
4. If you can ping 4.2.2.1, ping a web site, for example ping
chicagotech.net.

post back with the result and ipconfig /all result.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"geo jr." wrote in message

hi,
here's my problem, and i don't think it's unique, as i've been
researching it for a year and a half since i got my vista laptop (Vista
Home Premium 32bit with SP2). i lose internet connection. sometimes
often, sometimes not, but eventually do. wired or wireless. anywhere,
not just my home. i travel extensively, and i'm on wifi and ethernet in
hotels all over the country. it's always the same. everything else works
fine. and the ONLY way to remedy is to restart. sent it back to HP
twice. they replaced networking cards, etc., but no difference. i've
tried anything and everything i've seen in forums. it's not sleep
related, as it happens in the middle of corresponding via email, or
just web surfing. i've done complete system restores, updated drivers,
changed every setting imaginable and suggested. SP1, SP2, doesn't
matter. two desktops here at home, one XP, one also Vista Home Premium

32bit with SP2, and they always stay connected to the same network. in
my laptop, i have used IE 7+8, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, all to the
same end. i use yahoo mail and google mail via my browser, but recently
installed Mozilla Thunderbird to use gmail with a desktop client. i now
see that even if i can't get online via browsers, Thunderbird still is
able to send and receive email so that baffles me. unless i hear
something different, i think my only hope is Windows 7. don't think i
can install XP on this HP laptop. and i definitely don't want a mac. i
love this laptop but just want it so stay connected. HELP!!
thanx in advance for any and all help,
george
HP G60 Notebook PC
AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70 2.00 GHz