Old May 28th 10, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AJR

Default Strange error in Disk Management

An option to initializing the disk - format.
"Questor" wrote in message
I have an IDE to USB dongle that works fine with all my spare disks save
one. When I try to get it to install I get the "USB device installed
correctly" tone but nothing shows up in the Computer panel.

I then go to Computer Management and check on the disk. It is showing
with a tiny red mark of some kind (very hard for my eyes to see) and the
word "unknown" under Disk1. In addition, 'not initialized' is under the
unknown notification.

Right click on the disk and choose Initialize Disk. The pop up shows Disk
1 as checked and the radio button for MBR is pushed. Clicking "OK"
produces the error "Incorrect Function" - which is what baffles me. How
can it be an incorrect function if it is the only one selected? Is this a
bug or an indication of some esoteric error that the disdk manager can't
deal with?

Questor