Old March 30th 10, 12:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Chuck[_2_]

Default Recommend a vista 64 compatible wireless print server!

Google is your friend!
The support software for the WPSM54G is not Win7 Vista compatable, true.
However, a Google search found a user that was able to setup the WPSM54G
For use without using the incompatable support software.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5396340_set-...ows-linux.html

I was an early fan of print servers during the transition days between ASCII
printers and "windows printers".
Unfortunately, as windows changed from 3.1(x) to the later versions, it
became more and more difficult to
use them in the windows environment. TCPIP printers seem to be the most
reliable way out, with wireless
printers not quite there yet. In the past, I've tried ethernet print
servers, over power line print servers, wireless print servers,
and in the dark ages, even parallel or serial port print servers. (These
were needed at one time to compensate for the lack of memory in
certain printer models that did not have enough internal memory to print a
full page in graphics format.)

Perhaps the least reliable print servers were the power line units. The best
seemed to be those built into such things as routers and LAN drives.
Unfortunately, several of the printer Mfrs decided to write driver software
that is not fully compatable with LAN & print server use. Not a few of the
lower priced USB and Parallel port printers suffered from this problem. (A
guess would be that the Mfrs wanted the usually low priced models to
lack features desired for office use.)

"Spork Schivago" wrote in message

I know this is way late but just because the hardware isn't physically
hooked to the machine does not mean it will work with the machine. For
instance, the Linksys WPSM54G is not compatible with Vista 64 because
you need to install a virtual scanner that doesn't install on 64-bit
operating systems. Linksys never made the drivers for their print
server either, they outsourced and chances are there will never be
64-bit support. If anyone's interested in buying a print server, I'd
highly suggest checking to see if it's 64-bit compatible because if
you're not running a 64-bit operating system by now, you more than
likely will be some time in the future. Peace.

--
Spork Schivago