Old March 31st 10, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
smlunatick

Default How can I find out what the firewall issue is on a Printer?

On Mar 31, 12:33*pm, "M Skabialka" wrote:
Turning off the firewall made no difference.

The printer works with the original software from another PC.
It prints if I use generic drivers, but won't scan OCR.
It was running fine for two years before the software got corrupted and I
got fatal errors reinstalling it. *I have updated software from HP but
firewall issues.
So how can the firewall block it under some software and not under others?

Back to my original question - how do I find out what is blocking it? *The
HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility says "Network communication is not what
was expected. *A firewall is still blocking communication." *It says this
whether the firewall is running or not.

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in messagenews:nigbpvdk4aw9.1f51v0dxk1p71.dlg@40tude. net...

Shenan Stanley's suggestion was for a *test* to isolate the problem.

You might also want to (temporarily) disable your router's firewall as a
second test.

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:36:11 -0500, M Skabialka wrote:

I will try that, but I hope that is not the answer - I don't want the
firewall off permanently!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote in message
.. .
M Skabialka wrote:
I was having problems reinstalling HP software for my All-In-One
printer, and HP Tech support had me add ten or fifteen programs to
the Firewall as allowed programs, plus about that many ports. *I'm
still having firewall issues according to the HP networks
diagnostic tool, and the HP software does not "see" my printer on
the network. I can go to its IP address in Internet Explorer and see
info
about
its status, etc, and I can install basic drivers for other similar
printers and it will print, but not from the Full Software package
that I need for OCR scanning. *It is listed under Printers and I
can print a test page. The HP Diagnostics has a AutoFix button but it
doesn't fix the
issue, and doesn't say what is wrong. *Until I had problem
reinstalling the software it had worked fine for two years.
How can I find out what the firewall issue is?

Does it work if you turn off your software firewall?

If not - it's not a firewall issue unless you have some other firewall
between you and the All-in-One.

--
Shenan Stanley
* * MS-MVP

Gene E. Bloch * * *letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

You may need to also check your anti-virus software settings. I have
seen some anti-virus software which have a "hidden" firewall like
module.