Old June 7th 10, 08:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Vilius Mockunas

Default Remove windows 7 CD/DVD-ROM automatic hidden shares ?

Hello,

I like things to be shaded only when I want to. So I was always removing
automatic shares using these instructions:

"To remove administrative shares without letting Win2K recreate them every
time you reboot the system, you need to edit the registry. Start regedit and
go to the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters
subkey. From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value to create the new values
AutoShareServer and AutoShareWks; set each value's data to 0 (i.e., false).
Next, go to each drive, right-click, and select Sharing. Then, select Do not
share this folder. Then restart server service."

This works on windows 7 too (for disk drive and admin shares). The problem
is that CD/DVD devices are also shared as hidden shares in windows 7, and
workaround above doesn't disable these.

How do I disable automatic hidden CD/DVD shares in windows 7 ?

thanks
Vilius