Old March 29th 14, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

Default windows fax scanner: blank fax sent?!

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 15:12:08 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 14:56:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, March 28, 2014 11:12:10 PM UTC+1, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

That's interesting, even weird. I still think it could be either OO or

the driver, but I really don't know how to find out.

Odds are there are no new drivers to try for vista. Which printer is it?

OK - I just got an idea. How abut installing one of the other free

office suites? In fact OpenOffice has been supplanted by LibreOffice, so

you might want to try that. I imagine that KingSoft Office will work on

Vista as well. If one or another of these programs works OK, then it was

OO, otherwise the printer driver or even the printer itself.

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

"The project was closed by Oracle Corporation, the then-owner of Sun, in

April 2011.[11] Active successor projects include Apache OpenOffice,

LibreOffice and NeoOffice"

--

Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Same problem with Libreoffice 4.2.2 (I've got A.O.O. 4.1).
But I can send the same file using a different "fax function" instead of "windows fax scanner", the one of a Canon inkjet multifunction printer (MX 895).
My printer is a Dell 5110cn but it doesn't have any fax modem in it..."windows fax scanner" software uses my pc inbuilt fax modem...
Do u think I have to install the latest and specific Dell's drivers? Thanks!

I don't know. In your situation, I would try the new drivers and keep
my fingers crossed. But I am an experimenter...

Another thought is that maybe you can save the files as doc, docx, or
pdf, and send them by another program, maybe a third party fax program -
or do what worked above, by using the Canon software.

My printer can send and receive faxes, but my current phone system
doesn't support fax :-)

And there is Kingsoft Office, also a free office suite. Probably others
too.

But in the few seconds since I sent the previous reply, I also thought
that it might be that the problem is with the Windows fax function,
based on what you said...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)