Old March 21st 15, 12:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Ken Springer[_2_]

Default Interesting uninstall problem with old software

On 3/20/15 7:27 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 18:58:28 -0600, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 3/20/15 11:05 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:56:08 -0600, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 3/20/15 10:41 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:24:38 -0600, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 3/20/15 8:29 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 07:47:48 -0600, Ken Springer
wrote:

Never had *this* happen before...

Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 system, most definitely 32 bit.

I've got an old piece of software installed that required running in XP
SP2 mode when installed under Windows 7. I installed it here just to
help my brother-in-law with the program, I never used it.

The installation included a program written, apparently, in Dbase, and
the installation also installed a Dbase runtime engine.

When trying to uninstall both, I got the message the program can only be
uninstalled on 64 bit windows.

Repeated efforts finally got the Dbase runtime engine uninstalled, but
no luck with the program itself.

Any brilliant ideas about how to get around this?

Have you tried the Microsoft "Fixit" available for this issue?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._and_uninstall

Won't work. :-( The fixit only applies to versions of Visual Studio.

Can you access the operating system's application log and post the exact error
that was generated?

Above my pay grade at the moment. LOL This part of computing never
interested me. I like finding out what I can do with them far more than
troubleshooting. G

Congratulations, you have received a field promotion to E-2.

Geez, I did better than that in real life!! E-5 in just 2.5 years.
Petty Officer 2nd Class, USN.

O-6, USMC ret. The conclusions you have drawn are rather drastic, but if you
don't feel comfortable posting the specific error relating to the problem you
were trying to resolve, I will just let it drop.

I'm not uncomfortable posting the specific error, I don't know how to
identify it. LOL

But I do know how unprotected the system was, simply due to my
ignorance. So it's a perfectly logical option that a reinstallation
would end up being the easiest of the options.

I'm more than willing to try any suggestions you have, but I'm starting
from a point of zero knowledge in this area.

Good luck.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5