Old May 26th 15, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

Default Creating personal data/special folders

On Tue, 26 May 2015 11:00:14 -0600, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 5/26/15 8:42 AM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

Some people have multiple partitions because they believe that it
somehow improves performance. That’s not correct. The effect is
probably small on modern computers with modern hard drives, but if
anything, the opposite is true: more partitions mean poorer
performance. That’s because normally no partition is full and there
are therefore gaps between them. It takes time for the drive’s
read/write heads to traverse those gaps. The closer together files
are, the faster access to them will be.

This is where I have some disagreement. :-)

For the systems belonging to my friends that I reinstalled the OS and
such on, with one partition for OS and programs, and one for data, they
all said the computer ran faster than when it was new.

If the system ran faster after a new Windows installation, there are
many possible reasons why. Whether you are right or I am, do not
assume that the reason why is the partitioning scheme.