Old December 25th 15, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Char Jackson

Default Network security, passwords and keys

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 00:24:01 -0500, Micky wrote:

All this time I've been thinking that if WEP or WPA-PSK enabled and a
proper key, I have adequate router security.

Others have responded to most of your questions and points, but I wanted to
emphasize that WEP is completely broken and has been so since about 2006.
With the right tools, all freely available, a WEP passphrase can be
retrieved in under 3 minutes.

Some implementations of WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK are also broken, but take
significantly longer to retrieve a passphrase, usually on the order of 1-7
days or so, so can be considered secure from passersby but not from the
person living next door who has all the time in the world to let his tools
run.

Lastly, WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) is also broken in some implementations
such that affected routers can simply be asked to provide their WiFi
password and they will happily do so. If you're blessed with a router that
suffers from an improper WPS implementation, then it doesn't matter how long
and hairy you make the WiFi password, or how often you change it. Tools
exist, also freely available like the others above, to simply interrogate
the router and ask it to provide the WiFi password (over WiFi, of course).

Enjoy.

--

Char Jackson