Old December 25th 15, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

Default timestamps between computer and router -- email failed

[Default] On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 02:34:30 -0500, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Paul wrote:

Micky wrote:
On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:06:11 -0500, Micky
wrote:

It's a D-Link AirPlus G, 11 years old. Could that be the cause of
any of these things.

Between 8 and 11 years old. I don't remember if I bought it used or
new. The firmware is almost 11 years old.

I have this problem too. The router quartz crystal clock
drifts like a *******.

I didn't know the router had a clock, but it has a button under Tools
called Time for which I have checked.
Automatic (Automatic time update with pre-defined NTP servers or
enter customized NTP)
Manual is the alternative.

I don't have anything in the customized NTP field and I have the
interval for Automatic as 24 hours, the default, so that lets it get
wronger and wronger for 24 hours until it gets corrected.

If the log were important, I could set the interval at one hour. (it
goes up to 72.) But I'll let it stay at 24. I'm glad to know how it
can be wrong, when other times are a lot closer.

It's a shame I can't use this to peer into the future.

If NTP is enabled in the router, and if the NTP does
first order corrections by "dribbling" out the corrections,
the time accuracy can be made to look better than it actually
is. Say the NTP consults an Internet source once a week.
On Windows, this might correct the clock just the one time
in that week. With a dribbling correction, a tiny correction
by a fixed amount might be applied every fifteen minutes. So
if the drift off-frequency is a manifest constant, the thing
can look like it is keeping perfect time. It's when the
order of drift is higher than first order, that such
"guessing" methods don't work.

Paul