Old April 9th 16, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Micky[_2_]

Default datastore\datastore.edb

[Default] On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 16:16:05 -0500, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general VanguardLH wrote:

Micky wrote:

I'm using Vista but googling has shown the exact same problem is found
in win7. The relevant file exists in XP, but I don't know if the
problem does or not.

AFAIC, I've solved the problem, so this is just to share with you. The
solution was simply to turn off automatic Windows Update.

Vista is getting few or no updates these days. Not sure about 7, but
there is manual update.

Now that I'm using Windows Resource Monitor to watch my disk usage,...
This morning, I needed to write and send one short email and then
leave within an hour. Sounds like plenty of time, except the
harddrive light was on constantly for at least an hour, and I could
barely type a single character in the email program. ...

It was reading (and maybe writing)
C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\datastore\datastor e.edb It ranged
from 20 to 45MB/minute. ....

So what's the solution. Suggestions from other people:
http://superuser.com/questions/53941...-computer-down
PC Boots then writes giant datastore.edb file slowing the computer
down. " If you stop the Windows Update service, within a minute the
system will stop reading and writing from the file and everything runs
smoothly. " .....
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...storeedb_help/
"Every day it ramps up my disk usage to 100% which pretty much kills
anything I want to do. It lasts from 5 min to an hour or two depending
on how long my machine has been off for previously (The longer its
been off, the longer the disk disruption and usage lasts) although it
will happen every day even if the machine is never shut down. ....

I enable the BITS and WU services only after I have prepared to do

I never even heard of BITS before! I see it started with win2000.

Windows updating: gotten some time reserved, made a full backup image,
poll for the available update and wait ... and wait ... and wait, review
*EACH* update before allowing it (hiding the unwanted or nonapplicable

I have been doing that.

ones), reboot even if not told to do so,

I havent' been doing that.

and disable the BITS and WU
services.

I haven't been doing that.

When those services are disabled, there is no Windows
updating going on, not even to poll for new ones.

I've read online that it's the checking for updates that takes so much
ram and cpu. (He didnt' mention

I use the following batch files:

Thank you for these. I've saved them.

___( WU-disable.bat )___
echo off
cls

echo Stop BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) ...
sc.exe stop BITS
echo Disable BITS ...
sc.exe config BITS start= disabled
echo.

echo Stop Windows Update service ...
sc.exe stop wuauserv
echo Disable Windows Update service ...
sc.exe config wuauserv start= disabled
echo.

exit
___( EOF )___

___( WU-enable.bat )___
@echo off
cls

echo Enable BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) to Manual
startup mode ...
sc.exe config BITS start= demand
echo.

echo Enable Windows Update service to Manual startup mode ...
sc.exe config wuauserv start= demand
echo Start Windows Update service ...
sc.exe start wuauserv
echo.

exit
___( EOF )___

I have a folder containing shortcuts to WU-enable, Windows Updates, and
WU-disable. When I am prepared to do some Windows updating, I just
click on WU-enable, Windows Updates (review each one and allow some),
and end with WU-disable. Then when I am not in update mode, there is no
background checking going on.

I guess that can take a lot of disk reading too. In fact maybe that
is what took an hour the other morning. I went out but I don't think
it dl'ed anything. If it did, it was just that one optional update,
the "MalwareChecker on restart for specific malware" file. or maybe a
MS Security Essentials file. Why does it take an hour to check and
download that?

I'm also assuming that you configured Automatic Update to "notify only".

Yes, I've had that for a long time.

During my Windows Updates step, I still only want to get notified of new
updates, not have them crammed down my throat.

Indeed.

Thanks a lot for the advice and bat files.