USB Device not being recognized

Old January 5th 08, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
janetwis

Default USB Device not being recognized

Help! My flash drive and my picture device are not being recognized when I
plug into my front USB ports. The wireless keyboard/mouse is in a USB port
right next to it and that works. I even unplugged that thinking maybe it was
a "power" issue. I am a novice, why won't my USB devices work, nothing comes
up when I plug them in, just a "bleep" sound but NOTHING else.
Grrrrrrrr.........................
--
JanetWis
Old January 5th 08, 04:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

I don't want to scare you, but I just replaced a mobo to resolve such an
issue (it did). If you browse this newsgroup you will see that usb devices
are one of the hottest topics. I wish I knew more about which combinations
of hardware causes this but it appears to be a real tough problem.

Old January 5th 08, 06:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
janetwis

Thanks Colin, this is ridiculous, it is a basic need for a computer to read
USB devices. Is this a VISTA problem? What can I do to resolve this issue
(and what is a mobo?).
--
JanetWis

Old January 5th 08, 07:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

mobo = motherboard. Replacement is not trivial. I have no idea how you can
resolve the issue. There is such a variety of causes that I honestly don't
know beyond trial and error. Some devices work on most machines but when
they don't there may not be a fix. This is an unbelivable situation and is
rooted in the use by some manufacturers of materials that barely met testing
standards for XP but now fall out of the range of the much tighter
requirements for Vista.

Old January 5th 08, 08:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message janetwis
wrote:

Help! My flash drive and my picture device are not being recognized when I
plug into my front USB ports. The wireless keyboard/mouse is in a USB port
right next to it and that works. I even unplugged that thinking maybe it was
a "power" issue. I am a novice, why won't my USB devices work, nothing comes
up when I plug them in, just a "bleep" sound but NOTHING else.
Grrrrrrrr.........................

This is a longshot, but give this a shot...

1. Open a Windows Explorer window by right clicking on Start and
then clicking on Explore.
2. In the address bar, type C:\windows\inf and press Enter.
3. Find and then right click on the file named INFCACHE.1.
4. Select Properties.
5. Click on the Security tab.
6. Click on Edit to edit the permissions of the file.
7. Click on Add to add User Groups.
8. Type Administrators in the User Groups field and click on OK.
9. Set Administrators to Full Control and click on OK.
10. Move or delete the file INFCACHE.1.
11. Reinstall a device to force Windows to rebuild the INFCACHE.1 file
(DO NOT reinstall the same external hard drive that you were having
issues detecting before. Please connect another USB device other than
the one that Vista had an issue detecting).

Old January 5th 08, 10:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ignition

Try going to...

http://www.infdump.com/download-inf-.../download.html

download the .inf file and place it in c://windows/inf/

I got this info from another thread on here and it worked perfectly

--
ignition
ignition's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=38957

http://forums.techarena.in

Old January 7th 08, 03:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
janetwis

Thank you all. I appreciate your assistance and will check out your
suggestions. Should have known you meant motherboard, don't know the
"lingo".
--
JanetWis