No sound - red light in headphone jack

Old January 5th 08, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Visceral

Default No sound - red light in headphone jack

Hello.

I have a laptop with Vista on it. It is a hand-me-down from another in my
family. When I got it, I naturally wanted a clean slate, so I wiped the hard
drive and reinstalled everything. Ever since, I have been getting no sound
out of either the speakers or the headphone jack, and their is this little
red light shining out of the headphone jack. I have reinstalled all my
drivers, to some success. While the red light went away, there was still no
sound, and then some of my programs did not work. I therefore restored it
back to before I reinstalled the drivers. I have read that the light
probably has something to do with the SPDIF outlet, so I disabled that
device. However, the red light remains. I have done everything I can think
of to fix this computer, but none of it works! Does anyone know of anything
that I have not already tried?

-Thanks
Old January 5th 08, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

You need to say what model laptop you have and what audio adaptor it has.
XP drivers will not help. If the manufacturer's website does not have Vista
drivers for your laptop then Vista is not supported on it and you should use
your restore cd to return to your previous OS.

Old January 5th 08, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Visceral

My computer is a MS-1633X, the type is X86. It was manufactured for
Cyberpower PC by the Micro-Star Corporation. This computer came with Vista,
I did not upgrade it. The computer is designed as a Vista-compatible PC.

Old January 5th 08, 07:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

I have had reasonable luck talking to CyberPower's tech support (both by
email and by phone) on both the computers I bought from them. What is
support telling you about this issue? I can't find "MS-1633X" or
"MSI-1633X" on the MSI website and the CyberPower website does not have a
search feature so I can't tell what adaptor you have.