Only seeing 2 out of 4 GiB of ram

Old January 12th 08, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

Default Only seeing 2 out of 4 GiB of ram

I've read all of the "I'm not seeing all of the 4GiB of ram" articles and
none of them seem to match my problem. I have 2 sticks of 2GiB ram (Mushkin)
installed in dual-channel. The bios on my mainboard (EVGA) recognizes all
4GiB of it, so that isn't the problem. I'm running SLI graphics cards with
512MiB each. When I look at system info, it says I only have 2GiB installed.

I just don't see how 4GiB turns into 2GiB even with the graphics card ram
subtracted out. I would expect to see around 3.3 to 3.5 GiB.

Thanks for looking,
Jason
Old January 12th 08, 02:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

I have seen as little as 2.5GB with only one graphics adaptor installed so
don't be too sure that that is all there is to it.

Old January 12th 08, 02:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Trac

Are you using Vista x86 or x64? Only x64 can use 4GB+ of RAM as 32bit
operating systems cannot address 4GB so it will only display however much
ram the system is addressing even if you have 4 or more installed.

Trac

Old January 12th 08, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jorgen[_2_]

Jason wrote:
I've read all of the "I'm not seeing all of the 4GiB of ram" articles and
none of them seem to match my problem. I have 2 sticks of 2GiB ram (Mushkin)
installed in dual-channel. The bios on my mainboard (EVGA) recognizes all
4GiB of it, so that isn't the problem. I'm running SLI graphics cards with
512MiB each. When I look at system info, it says I only have 2GiB installed.

On Asus boards, it's common for it drop all the way down to 2 GB when
memory remapping is enabled in BIOS - when using 32-bit Vista or XP. If
that is the problem, you might win a few megabytes by disabling it.
Old January 12th 08, 03:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

I have seen reports of Vista after its boot up memory check only recognizing
one stick of RAM when the two sticks were not a matched pair running at the
same speed.