Can't install ANY hardware

Old January 14th 08, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Godslayer333

Default Can't install ANY hardware

I used to think i was pretty knowageable about computers, but once i switched
to vista, i haven't been able to figure out anything! I can't install my Usb
hub, or my printer, or my logitech bluetooth reciever, even after downloading
the new vista installations and drivers for them and everything. For what
used to be cake on XP, was now something difficult and a pain. Even after
getting all the correct drivers and software, vista still claims to not have
them... I don't know what to do, it jus seems like Vista is somehow
preventing me from installing any hardware device at all. I'm at a total loss.
Old January 15th 08, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Please give specifics about your hardware.

Did Vista come preinstalled or did you install a retail copy? If a retail
copy did you upgrade from a previous OS?

Old January 15th 08, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Godslayer333

I have a Gateway GM5474 that came pre installed with vista. I've been trying
to install a Logitech MX5000 Blutooth USb reciever, a Lexmark X7170 printer,
and a USB hub/PCI USB 2.0 card combo from radioshack with no make or model
number to be found.

Old January 15th 08, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Godslayer333

Well, i never asked gateway, i didn't think it was the computers' problem, i
thoguht it was some kind of problem with windows vista

Old January 15th 08, 03:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Godslayer333

Even if i didn't get the computer through gateway? i got it refurbished off
of tiger direct. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I hate using basic
customer support, they ask you even stupid question they can till they get to
the heart of the problem. "Is your computer plugged in?" "do you have the
right drivers installed?"
sigh... anyway, if thats what you think i should do....i guess i'll give it
a try. Thanks for your help. I was just hoping there was a much easier way.

Old January 15th 08, 11:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_2_]

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

[...]

Did Tiger Direct give you any indication as to why the computer was
refurbished? Was it a return because the original buyer didn't like it, or
was it because it had faults which Tiger Direct claim to have repaired?

Your problems seem to be all USB related. You could try going into Control
Panel System Device Manager and removing the USB entries from the
configuration.

Next, reboot the computer and let Windows re-install drivers it thinks work
ok.

Now try connecting USB devices. If nothing works still, come back and tell
us what error messages appeared, if any..

--
Mike Hall - MVP