Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
PrtScn of UAC by Tom
I'm writing documentation for end users. How can I do a PrntScn (or capture to the clipboard) the UAC pop-ups?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 21st 07 11:00 PM
by Cameron Go to last post
10 337
Software Restrictions by Cameron
Hello, I am trying to use the Microsoft Managament Console to apply Group Policy to individual user groups on a local level. All Group Policy settings that I define are applied just fine. However, the Software Restriction Policy settings that I've applied are being ignored. I've taken these steps: Launch Microsoft Management Console (Start Run mmc), Add the Group Policy Object Snap-In...
March 21st 07 11:57 PM
by Cameron Go to last post
1 128
Norton Antivirus for Windows Vista by Anghel Eduard
Did you know whay Windows Vista is blocking if you install Norton AntiVirus ? Thanks, Edi
March 22nd 07 02:12 AM
by Vladek Go to last post
8 211
ASP.NET Machine password by Paasie
After i tried to get acces to all my folders in Windows Vista (on my own PC at home) I now get a screen asking me for my ASP.NET Machine account password. I also need this to install programs or even to install Windows all again. I have tried the two passwords I always use on my PC but they don't work. How is this possible? Does a system on my PC make it's own passwords? And where does...
March 22nd 07 07:56 AM
by Paasie Go to last post
2 162
Programs And Features by AshleyRobinson
Hey When you uninstall some thing it brings up a lil pop up sayin are u sure you want ot uninstall this nt here is a lil tick box to click and it says to never c this again tick this some thing along those likns well stupidly i turn it off by accident so when even i unoinstall some thing it never tell me what its doin does any one no how to turn this lil warning feature back ok ? kind...
March 22nd 07 09:10 AM
by AshleyRobinson Go to last post
2 154
set Account Lockout policy with Vista Home Premium: how? by mikk
Can you tell me how to set Account Lockout policies with Vista Home Premium? (Vista Home premium hasn't the Group Policy Editor) Account lockout duration Account lockout threshold Reset account lockout counter after
March 22nd 07 02:42 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 201
Firewall blocks outbound traffic even if outbound rule exists by Curt
Hello, the Microsoft Vista firewall doesn’t block outbound traffic by default. So all doors are open for keyloggers. Since there is no alternative firewall at this time, I have to use the complicated firewall from Vista. I studied diverse internet pages to get handled the Vista firewall. So I found out that there exists an extended configuration… In this extended configuration I blocked...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 22nd 07 05:08 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
21 568
Password Manager by Ed-D
I know I should probably post this on Symantec's site, but I waited over 5 hours to chat with one of their reps and never got through so I decided to come here. My computer operating XP recently crashed. I've bought a new PC with Vista Premium installed. I installed AVG for virus protection and use Windows Defender for anti-spyware. Before my crash, I used the Norton Password Manager...
March 22nd 07 10:48 PM
by Ed-D Go to last post
3 216
Which AVG file for download manager? by frogliver
I want to configure FlashGet to scan its downloads with AVG. But I don't know which AVG file to use. If I use AVG.exe it just opens the main scanning console when the download is done. Anyone know which AVG file to use so it scans the downloaded file automatically? Thanks Frogman
March 23rd 07 01:10 PM
by frogliver Go to last post
0 166
Which rights does a user need to control an windows service? by Olcay
Hi, I want to give a user the right(s) to control an already installed windows service. The user runs an application which start a specific windows service at application startup and stops the windows service when it does close / exit. Back in Windows XP this was working but it looks like, that non-admin users can't control windows services anymore.
March 23rd 07 01:23 PM
by Dave R. Go to last post
2 158
Webroot Spysweeper by Robert Johnson
Hi, Just wondered if anyone can help me run webroots spysweeper for vista, whilst i can install it ok the separate updater refuses to play ball, any help suggestions gratefully recieved. Thanks In Advance Robert..
March 23rd 07 04:19 PM
by Amrykid Go to last post
4 184
windows certification server with windows vista. by sai
I have an issue with windows certification server with windows vista. I have certification server on windows 2003 service pack1 running. I installed the certificate on windows vista machine. The installed client certificate I can find in personal folder While try to load the certficate I can’t find in the list Can you please help me out? Thanks in advance
March 23rd 07 07:25 PM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
7 219
Folder gives me no permissions??? by T.J.
Hi I have a very serious problem that for the life of me I cannot figure out how to fix. I have a 65gig folder that will not let me have permissions to open it or anything else. I honestly have no clue how it got this way (the permissions). I do have a private network. I cannot just reformat the drive as I need the files that are inside. I have tried taking control of the permissions,...
March 23rd 07 08:10 PM
by T.J. Go to last post
9 134
firewall filters by gs.lewis
I have a laptop with vista ultimate running. I can currently connect to my home network and the network and sharing center says I am connected to the internet but I can access anything on the internet. I try to diagnose and repair and it comes back telling me that a filter named query user maybe blocking the access. I have went into the MMC and tryed to find the filter but have no luck. ...
March 23rd 07 08:19 PM
by VicTek Go to last post
1 146
How do you allow a program in Defender? by David
When I open "allowed items" it only lets me remove programs and there are no programs listed to remove. When I open "software explorer" the program I want to allow is not listed in any of the four categories. The program I want to list is Money 2007. I downloaded and installed this program but it won't open because it doesn't recognize that I'm online. An MS technician thinks Defender is not...
March 24th 07 12:16 AM
by David Go to last post
2 120
Vista Security Center not showing Live OneCare by PeterC@NickelCap
I installed the 90 day free trial of Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare virus protection s/w and the Vista Security Center shows that Virus protection is not installed. The LiveOne icon is green in the taskbar and shows that the status is good. I was hoping that using LiveOne would eliminate any compatibility issues with Vista. Looks like that was a wrong assumption. We also had Spysweeper...
March 24th 07 01:41 AM
by PeterC@NickelCap Go to last post
7 172
Recover encrypted files or folders by mattske
Hi, Hopefully someone can help me out here. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on a brand new computer. My old pc had video card problems and crapped out on me. I have attached my old hard drive to this new computer via an external drive, and so far I am able to transfer my files over, however I am running into problems with some encrypted files that I have. It is not allowing me to...
March 24th 07 05:10 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
5 221
Vista Firewall does not block port 80 by Francisco
I have Windows Ulrtimate RC1 installed. I try blocking port 80 (inbound and outound) for all the traffic and still can browse the Internet. In facta I am writing this with the port "blocked". Am I doing anything wrong or it does not work because it is an evaluation copy?
March 25th 07 03:10 AM
by Gary Weichbrodt Go to last post
5 166
Shield icon on app in Program Files folder by Paul J. Lucas
I'm building an application that doesn't need administrator privileges so I'm adding a manifest to it as part of my .rc file: CREATEPROCESS_MANIFEST_RESOURCE_ID RT_MANIFEST MOVEABLE PURE { "?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes'? assembly xmlns='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1' manifestVersion='1.0' assemblyIdentity name='MyApp' ...
March 25th 07 05:36 AM
by Paul J. Lucas Go to last post
0 146
Windows authentication fails locally but not remotely by Jon Davis
I cannot access a Windows-authenticated web site locally even though I can access it remotely. I have a simple web implementation that hosts an IIS / ASP.NET based web site. I recently "upgraded" Windows XP 32-bit to Windows Vista 64-bit in a fresh installation on a seperate hard drive. In IIS I just point a new web site to the old hard drive that hosted the files. This worked great, but...
March 25th 07 07:26 AM
by David Wang Go to last post

From The