Vista handles tape-drives as fixed disks. how do I solve?

Old January 27th 08, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tomas Larsson

Default Vista handles tape-drives as fixed disks. how do I solve?

I have a DLT7000/DLT8000 connected to an adaptec 29160 card.
After I installed Vista Business64, the tape drive is identified as a
hard-disk, obviously it does not work, at the same time the hard-drives
connected to the same scsi-card is not accessible.

Hard-drives and Tape-drives is correctly identified in BIOS.

Its said that Vista has built in support for the Adaptec 29160 card.

Anyone that has a viable solution on this problem.
Old January 27th 08, 02:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

"Tomas Larsson" wrote in message
I have a DLT7000/DLT8000 connected to an adaptec 29160 card.
After I installed Vista Business64, the tape drive is identified as a
hard-disk, obviously it does not work, at the same time the hard-drives
connected to the same scsi-card is not accessible.

Hard-drives and Tape-drives is correctly identified in BIOS.

Its said that Vista has built in support for the Adaptec 29160 card.

Anyone that has a viable solution on this problem.

It appears that Quantum hasn't released a driver for Vista.

http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSup...x.aspx#Drivers

Without a driver it's unlikely you'll get it to work.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old January 27th 08, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tomas Larsson

Well, driver As far as I know is normally supplied byt the software using it,
such as veritas backup etc.
But the thing is that it is recognized as a Hard drive, I don't even get a
question to load a driver.

Old January 27th 08, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tomas Larsson

Well, the problem is that vista does not even giv me the choice of selecting
a driver, but always thinks it's a hard-drive regardless what i do.
Plus the fact that driver normaly are supplied by sw such as veritas backup
etc.

Old January 27th 08, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tomas Larsson

After some 10 deletes and scans for hardware changes i briefly managed to get
BOTH the hard-drive and the tape-drive recognized correctly, but after a few
seconds they were deleted by the system and replaced with the nonworking
devices again.

BTW, The DLT should be compatible with VISTA and there should be drivers in
vista as well.
Old January 28th 08, 06:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tomas Larsson

There is for the drive as well. According to HW-Compat it is.

"Ashton Crusher" wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:04:10 -0800, Tomas Larsson
wrote:

After some 10 deletes and scans for hardware changes i briefly managed to get
BOTH the hard-drive and the tape-drive recognized correctly, but after a few
seconds they were deleted by the system and replaced with the nonworking
devices again.

BTW, The DLT should be compatible with VISTA and there should be drivers in
vista as well.

Vista's drivers might be for the "board" but not the "drive".

Old January 28th 08, 02:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

I don't see it listed here as Vista certified or works with Vista

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/Default.aspx

Old January 28th 08, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tomas Larsson

wrote:

After some 10 deletes and scans for hardware changes i briefly managed
to get
BOTH the hard-drive and the tape-drive recognized correctly, but after a
few
seconds they were deleted by the system and replaced with the nonworking
devices again.

BTW, The DLT should be compatible with VISTA and there should be drivers
in
vista as well.

Vista's drivers might be for the "board" but not the "drive".

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...0drive&oid=616

Basically the same drive, regardless, VISTA has the driver "dlttape.sys" ,
the problem is that VISTA sometimes doesn't recognize the drive, same applies
to the harddrive, and harddrives doen't have any special drivers and should
be recognized.
Old January 28th 08, 08:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tomas Larsson

Further in my investigation.
If I remove the hard-drive from the bus, no changes, tape-drive some-times
recognized, but removed or inaccessible, or recognized as a hard drive.
obviously no changes.

If I remove the Tape-drive from the Bus, the hard-drive is still not
accessible, most of the times not recognized properly.

This makes me to start think that there is an error in the actual
adpu160m.sys driver.

I guess I have to download a linux live-cd and see if things is working on
that one.
Old January 29th 08, 03:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

wrote:

[...]

That's weird. I couldn't find that in the database. Did you notice the
footnote for Vista: "Certain device manufacturer variations of this device
may not be compatible. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's
website or contact your retailer."