Old February 8th 07, 07:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rockland2

Default Best Video card at this point of Vista developement

Hey, Ive built six or seven PC's for friends and family, and every time I've
had to deal with ATI cards I could not get the dual monitors selection to
work! ATI would only let me choose one or the other, TV or monitor. I
recently built this PC that I'm writing with now an ECS RS-482m with built in
ATI graphics with a seperate connecter to the motherboard for TV out, and I
still couldn't get it to work, I did the support thing back and forth to ATI
and AMD with e-mails, and finally just went out and bought an nVidia PCI
express card and viola, dual monitors. The folks at ATI act as if they've
never heard of this before, or am I the only person that hooks his PC up to
the TV so I can watch internet movies on the TV? Hmm. Anyways, thats my
2cents worth.
--
Rockland2 Sherman Oaks, California

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

The brand of the card has more to do with stability than the actual chipset.
I have had very good luck with Gigabyte cards using either ATI or NVidia
chipsets. The ATI seem to have a crisper display. With ATI you can buy ATI
branded cards direct from ATI which have support from the chipset
manufacturer. As far as I know there are no NVidia branded cards.

As far as ATI vs. NVidia, currently the drivers that are built into the RTM
release are the most stable for both. I'd give a slight nod to ATI but some
people have had problems with the sleep function on some motherboards.
Changing to an NVidia card often fixes this. By the time Vista is publicly
available this will probably change. In the past I have have found that
overall ATI drivers (without installing the Catalyst Control Center) are the
most stable but this changes as new drivers are released. I usually install
the drivers that came with the card and never change them unless there are
problems. Note - this is for business use. For gaming it's a whole different
story.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"joymac" wrote in message
I am presently running vista ultimate on a amd Athlon 64 x2 with aNvidia
Geforce 7300 gs microsoft drivers as I had some troubles with Nvidia
driver
installing and am going to wait till driver is out of bata before trying
again. Performance index is only 3.2 on business and gaming graphics same
machine using RC2 and Nvidia driver result was 3.4. I have the task of
upgrading serveral machines to Vista shortly and am tring to get a idea of
the best cards to use on slighly less powerful machines but must have dual
monitor support vga/dvi vga/vga or dvi/dvi. Not lookng for company loyalty
responces. Thanks
--
Trying to make sense of it all