Plugged In, Not Charging Battery

Old February 27th 08, 12:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ted[_7_]

Default Plugged In, Not Charging Battery

I have HP NW8000 laptop running Vista Ultimate. I installed SP1 a few days
ago. After the upgrade, the battery is not charging anymore. Right now it is
completely drained out and it says 0% available plugged in, not charging.

I uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery drivers
(there were two) from the Device Manager and install them again with scan
for hardware changes. I tried unplugging and plugging the battery back but
nothing helps. The can't get the battery to charge. What gives?

Old February 27th 08, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Ted wrote:

I have HP NW8000 laptop running Vista Ultimate. I installed SP1 a few days
ago. After the upgrade, the battery is not charging anymore. Right now it
is completely drained out and it says 0% available plugged in, not
charging.

I uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery drivers
(there were two) from the Device Manager and install them again with scan
for hardware changes. I tried unplugging and plugging the battery back but
nothing helps. The can't get the battery to charge. What gives?

Contact HP tech support. They may have new drivers and/or a workaround. This
is very similar to what happened with XP SP2. HP had about 8 different
patches you needed to install before applying SP2.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Old February 27th 08, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ted[_7_]

Thank you. Unfortunately, HP doesn't support Vista with NW8000. It looks
like they drew a line to support only 2-year old and newer laptops with
Vista. So, nothing can be done on the MS front except downgrading to XP?
Like undoing what SP2 did to the battery driver?

Old February 27th 08, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Ted wrote:

Thank you. Unfortunately, HP doesn't support Vista with NW8000. It looks
like they drew a line to support only 2-year old and newer laptops with
Vista. So, nothing can be done on the MS front except downgrading to XP?
Like undoing what SP2 did to the battery driver?

All operating systems need drivers for the hardware inside the computer.
Drivers are written by either the hardware mftr. OR by talented programmers
who want to use certain hardware with a particular operating system (like
Linux, for ex.). Most laptop mftrs. use proprietary hardware in their
machines which is why the drivers need to come from them instead of from
(for ex.) Nvidia or ATI. This is why the first step in considering whether
to install a particular operating system on proprietary hardware is
determining whether there are drivers. If not, you don't run that operating
system on that hardware.

This has nothing to do with Microsoft.

You chose to install Vista on hardware where it wasn't supported. If you
were fortunate enough for this to have worked before Service Pack 1, then
uninstall Service Pack 1. Or put XP back on the laptop.

Malke
Old February 27th 08, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ted[_8_]

This has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Really? The fact that HP has decided to stop supporting this model with
Vista has nothing to do the issue at hand. Why wouldn't the Upgrade Advisor
catch the incompatible hardware?

I admire your strategy to transfer the ball to the manufacturer but this is
not how I see the situation. There is a thing called backward compatibility.
Something was working before, got busted in SP1, and it has nothing to do
with Microsoft? Poor OEMs, they are caught in chasing a moving target each
time Microsoft ships a service pack. And, of course, it's all their fault if
something doesn't work. Shame!

Old February 27th 08, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Nobody's caught chasing a moving target. HP is a major MS partner and has
full information about coming changes to the operating system long ahead of
time. HP engineers and MS engineers work together and each receives
continuing feedback from the other. HP has made a business decision about
supporting your model, that's all.

Old February 27th 08, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Ted wrote:

This has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Really? The fact that HP has decided to stop supporting this model with
Vista has nothing to do the issue at hand. Why wouldn't the Upgrade
Advisor catch the incompatible hardware?

I admire your strategy to transfer the ball to the manufacturer but this
is not how I see the situation. There is a thing called backward
compatibility. Something was working before, got busted in SP1, and it has
nothing to do with Microsoft? Poor OEMs, they are caught in chasing a
moving target each time Microsoft ships a service pack. And, of course,
it's all their fault if something doesn't work. Shame!

What strategy? I don't even use Windows and I honestly don't care whether
you do either. Oh, and I know to check for drivers before I decide to
install an operating system on a computer. Backward compatibility? You
think you're guaranteed backward compatibility? For how long? As long as
you want it? This is not the way the real world works.

No, the bottom line is you chose to install an operating system on hardware
that doesn't support it and for which HP isn't providing drivers.

The Upgrade Advisor is simply an advisor and isn't always right. The burden
of making sure that there are drivers for hardware falls on you if you
choose to put a different operating system on a machine that came with a
preinstalled OS.

It always amuses me when I read a screed like yours - this basic
misunderstanding of how computers, hardware, drivers, and operating systems
really work is due to Windows users being so accustomed to getting their
OS's and supported drivers preinstalled.

EOT for me because there really is no point in engaging further on this.

Malke
Old January 25th 09, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
u4su

I have noticed a lot of messaged posted last year on this subject, but
no solutions.
I purchased 2 HP 6735s lap tops about 3 weeks ago. They both devolped
the same problem with the battery, plugged in not charging within a
short space of time. HP said they must be faulty and send them back. We
bought them from Ebuyer.com and they were very helpful and did an
exchange and we got 2 new ones. The new one has now got the same fault.
Not all the time and not every time it is unplugged. But twice in a week
it has said plugged in not charging.
The solutiuon seems to be to unplug it and re boot it then plug in
again. This seems to solve it but it re occurs.
The lap top can't be faulty again. There must be a fix for this as so
many other people have had this problem.

Please help.

--
u4su
u4su's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/u4su.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old January 26th 09, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

On my HP laptop once the battery is fully charged the charging will stop so
as not to damage the battery.

Old February 25th 09, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
fifer

"u4su" wrote in message

[...]

I had same problem.here is the fix.

right click power icon
open power options
open show additional plans
chose calibrate
remove power cable
allow battery to drain till laptop shuts down
reconnect power
start up laptop
open power options again and reset to original power plan.

good luck.