How to contact Microsoft

Old February 28th 08, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
alexB

Default How to contact Microsoft

Thank you C.B. I've seen it but failed to attach it to my collection. Now I
did.

The last point I wanted to make and forgot was that it is pointless to
report bug on the phone since they need a detailed description, a document
and it could not be taken.
over the phone by a receptionist. I am not sure I got it correctly from your
post but I think it was what you tried to do.

"C.B." wrote in message
Hey Alex,

Long time no see. Anyway, thank you very much for the link. I
appreciate your assistance. In the event you do not have it, I have posted
a link to Microsoft's development team whereby you may make suggestions as
to new products for Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/o...deaSubmit.mspx

C.B.

It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

"alexB" wrote in message
Hi C.B.

It is always interesting to read your posts and I am glad I read this
one. Once you mentioned that you research every issue meticulously and it
is clearly seen from your posts. They are great, clear and simple.

I am glad that I read this for yet another reason.

Yesterday I posted on MSDN two bugs in VS2005/VS2008. I've had them for
years and I am sure other people have run into them. I am kind of certain
they have been reported already. My posts arose little interest as far as
I could see but taken seriously by MS pros. I could see it from their
documented the problems.

They gave me a link where the users go and report bugs. This is the link:
https://connect.microsoft.com/Visual...?wa=wsignin1.0
It is so called Visual Studio & .NET Framework
Product Feedback Center .

First I balked at it. I hate to waste time but then decided to try. I
went there today and tried to navigate thru the maze of options.I was
really shocked. There was a long list of products, I had hard time
finding VS2005 related link. No VS2008 was mentioned at all. I kept
going.

After a while I got to the feedback page. Ambiguous questions which did
not seem to pertain to why I was there. I tried to paste my previous post
in one of the windows. A red line appeared that the messages should not
be longer than 1444 characters, I think. I cut it in half. The same
thing. Then I entered "No" in all windows and the same red line kept
coming.

I thru in a towel, closed the page and posted a message at MSDN forum
that I could not do it for the lack of time.

Now, there was a number over there as to the total number of bugs
reported. It seems to be over 80,000 or so.

Now, the points I am trying to make.

1. The whole experience did not make me angry. If you want bug free
software, shut your machine off and wait another three hundred years. I
am a developer myself and know how difficult it is to make things
perfect, bug free,

2. I encourage you to try the link I posted. I think they mentioned Live
Mail in there but I am not sure. With your incredible determination you
may be able to bulldoze thru the whole maze and make a report. Perhaps
you will even share experience and I make another try.

3. I am sure MS has departments filled with software engineers who deals
with bugs of various sorts. They are working tirelessly but they cannot
immediately respond to any bug that is discovered. Some software have low
priority or slated for demolition so to speak. Be understanding.

4. An experience like this would make fodder for scoundrels like Al-ALias
who enjoy any problem, even a tiny one MS has. They will have problems bu
tthey are also working hard to resolve them.

"C.B." wrote in message
Several days ago I posted a question concerning the inability of my
Microsoft Fingerprint Reader to function. I did not receive answers from
anyone in the discussion groups. I spent several hours over several days
speaking to a Microsoft tech support supervisor trying to get it to
work, to no avail, and the case was closed by Microsoft as having no
solution available.
This was not acceptable to me, being the curious person I am. I
decided, what the hell, I'll just uninstall my OS, reformat and do a
clean install. During the install I installed each and every update and
application one at a time, checking the function of my fingerprint
reader after each update and application, rebooting after each one. I
had many updates and applications to install so it took me two days to
discover the problem.
The application preventing the fingerprint reader from functioning
is a Microsoft application contained in one of Microsoft's programs. It
is the "Windows Live Installer" included in Windows Live Mail. I
uninstalled Windows Live Installer and the fingerprint reader works
perfectly. Uninstalling this application has caused no problems so far.
Once the OS and all of my programs were installed I decided to
download and install Vista SP1 once again to determine if the problem
would reoccur with SP1. It did not. Everything works perfectly and my OS
is lightning fast with SP1 once again installed.
My problem is this: I have tried to send a support email to
Microsoft explaining the fix to the fingerprint reader problem so as to
save them a lot of time and money. I'm certain Microsoft will be able to
alter the application to make it compatible with the Microsoft
Fingerprint Reader. It should be a simple matter for them to do so. I
discovered, reading many forums, that thousands of people are having
this same problem. The Microsoft support page could not verify the
product number of my fingerprint reader so I was not able to send the
information. I called Microsoft Support and they don't see to be
interested. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $35.00 to send a support
email and notify Microsoft of a Microsoft problem.
I want nothing from Microsoft; not a thank you, not recognition, not
a free product, not anything. Can anyone provide me with the proper
support email address I can send this information to, or can anyone do
it for me? I would appreciate it very much as I don't want other people
to suffer the frustrations and aggravations I suffered while trying to
get this product to work properly.
Thank you in advance for any information you may wish to provide.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the
underprivileged and unfortunate among us.

Old February 29th 08, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
zachd [MSFT]

I don't see any results for that. Who were you working with in support?

I don't understand what you mean by "stops working" - could you be specific in what is failing?

By "Microsoft Fingerprint Reader", you're referring to the device that came out back in 2004, right? I see from the Hardware site that this device has limited support:
===
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/wi...a/support.mspx
===

So that's probably one aspect of the issue.

I suspect if this was happening with a well-supported / current biometric device, this would be of much higher interest.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"C.B." wrote in message ...
Zachd,

Please excuse my stupidity. I learned what the SRX number is from Colin
Barnhorst's reply. It is SRX1058732464ID. Again, thank you for your
assistance.

C.B.

It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote in message

What's the SRX number?

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.

"C.B." wrote in message
[...]

Old February 29th 08, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
C.B.[_5_]

"C.B." wrote in message ...
Zachd,

Please excuse my stupidity. I learned what the SRX number is from Colin
Barnhorst's reply. It is SRX1058732464ID. Again, thank you for your
assistance.

C.B.

It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote in message

What's the SRX number?

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.

Old February 29th 08, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pete

Hi C.B,
Found your mail with the solution for the Microsoft fingerprint reader very
interesting!
So, I thought I would try that too, since for the past 3 months I have been
going crazy to solve that problem.
Googled for hours, asked in this news group (hardware, etc), noticed that I
was not the only one with this problem,
there must've been a few hundred cases with exactly the same problem, no
user help, no Microsoft help anywhere!
I finally gave up installing and re-installing up to 30 times the MS-mouse
software IP6.2
and the fingerprint reader software DPPM_201_ENG.exe. The mouse works just
fine under Vista, but no go
with that darned fingerprint reader.
The mouse and fingerprint reader works perfectly under Windows XP.
Anyway,,,, Well, I do NOT have installed "Windows Live Mail" ! I am using
the standard "Windows Mail".
So, in my case, your solution and fix does not work for me, nor will it for
most people.
Please comment, I would really appreciate it..
Thanks in advance.
greetings
(\__/)
(O.o)
( ) and ......
There's always a light at the end of a tunnel !
Long live Clem Kadiddlehopper !!!
Regards
Pete

"C.B." wrote in message
[...]

Old February 29th 08, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
C.B.[_5_]

AlexB,

Actually, I only wanted the support email address where I could send
the solution, a support email address that I did not have to pay to use. As
I said, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Microsoft to send them a solution
to a problem caused by their own application.
As it stands, zachd forwarded my information to the Microsoft
Fingerprint Reader support tech' and the tech' sent me an email telling me
he had forwarded it to the "proper" department. Whether or not this was done
I don't really know for sure and couldn't care less. However, I have done my
duty by reporting the solution, a solution that will affect thousands of
fingerprint reader users. I spent days searching different forums looking
for an answer to my problem and discovered there was an astronomical number
of users suffering the same problem I had. My only goal was to make the
solution available to the many people who have the same problem I
experienced. Microsoft can choose to do something with this information or
Microsoft can choose to ignore it. The choice is purely that of Microsoft. I
don't really expect Microsoft to take the time to alter the fingerprint
reader application and/or the Windows Live Installer application for the
purpose of making the fingerprint reader function properly or at all. The
financial payback to Microsoft regarding this issue is inconsequential.
Therefore, they have no incentive to act.
I spent two days reinstalling my OS, an update and/or application at a
time, rebooting after each and every one, in order to discover the cause of
the problem because I simply refuse to take "I'm sorry, but we can't
determine the causative factor of the problem and therefore we must archive
the support incident" as an answer. To me, that is no answer at all. I doubt
very seriously that Microsoft would allow a support technician to take the
time necessary to install an OS one update at a time, checking the
functionality of the fingerprint reader after each update or application
install. These support techs are paid by the hour. Time is money and money
is time in the business world. Since Microsoft was unable and/or unwilling
to discover the problem I chose to do it myself. My curiosity got the best
of me and I refused to give up so easily.
What did all this research and work get me? Absolutely nothing, aside
from the personal satisfaction of solving my own problem. I neither desire
nor expect a "pat on the back" from Microsoft or anyone else. That would
mean nothing to me. If I would have had an avenue for reporting this
solution directly to Microsoft I would not have started a thread in this
discussion group. I used this newsgroup solely for the purpose of locating a
post from zachd, who I knew would have the ability to forward it to the
proper person/department. He did so and I thanked him for his time and
trouble. Microsoft may not care, but some of their employees care very much.
Anyway, have a nice day.

"alexB" wrote in message
Hi C.B.

It is always interesting to read your posts and I am glad I read this
one. Once you mentioned that you research every issue meticulously and
it is clearly seen from your posts. They are great, clear and simple.

I am glad that I read this for yet another reason.

Yesterday I posted on MSDN two bugs in VS2005/VS2008. I've had them for
years and I am sure other people have run into them. I am kind of
certain they have been reported already. My posts arose little interest
as far as I could see but taken seriously by MS pros. I could see it
from their responses. There were two of them. No wonder. I clearly and
definitively documented the problems.

Old February 29th 08, 06:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
C.B.[_5_]

Pete,

Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features. Check your installed
programs and see if you have a listing for Windows Live Installer. If you
find such an entry you can delete it with no detrimental effects as it is
only an installer. Check to see if this solves your problem. If not, check
all your Microsoft applications that are associated with their "Live"
products to determine if any of them include the Windows Live Installer in
the .exe, .dll or .ocx files contained within the programs. I'm not a
programmer so I don't really know much about these files and whether or not
Windows Live Installer would be included in any of them so don't consider me
stupid for asking you to look at them. You probably know much more about
them than I do.
Your situation is different than mine. Although I use a Microsoft
IntelliType Pro wireless keyboard and mouse my Microsoft Fingerprint Reader
is a standalone product. I use twelve digit passwords and as you can imagine
this has saved me an enormous amount of time.
If you do not have Windows Live Installer on your system and your
fingerprint reader will not function you can do as I did. Save and backup
your important data and files. Reformat your drive and and do a clean
reinstall of your Windows OS. Once your OS has reinstalled and downloaded
and installed the initial updates in the installation process, and you are
at your desktop for the first time, manually reboot your system. You will
then be provided with 50-80 additional updates, depending upon how long ago
you initially installed your OS. Install your keyboard and mouse software
BEFORE you install any of these additional updates. Go online and try to use
your fingerprint reader on any login webpage. If it will not work I would
construe that to mean your hardware is defective. However, if in fact it
does work that is an indication that it is working properly but is
malfunctioning due to a Microsoft or third party application or a subsequent
update you have not installed yet. You can now install the additional
updates, rebooting and checking your fingerprint reader after each and every
update installation. The reboot is necessary in order to eliminate any
unnecessary files. I would install the additional updates based upon when
they were released for your system. If all your additional updates do not
cause your fingerprint reader to cease working you will then know that it is
a Microsoft application or third party application causing the problem. Once
you find the guilty application you can reconfigure or uninstall it.
I realize it will be time consuming for you to do this, and not
everyone has the amount of free time that I have. Also, my finger was so
tired from all the attempts that I couldn't pick my nose or my arse for six
hours afterward. However, you can look at it in a positive way. This will
enable you to install SP1 on a pristine system, thereby saving you many of
the headaches other people will experience with the service pack.
If you get it to work, and you discover what was preventing it from
working, you should post another thread to this discussion group so that
others with your problem will also have access to the solution.

Have a nice day. Don't give up.

Old February 29th 08, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pete

Hi C.B.
Wow, I can't believe it!!! You answered so fast!
You took so much time to help me with my problem. That is really nice of
you. Very, very few people would take such an effort and time.
Like I said, I do not have Windows Live Mail installed (Windows Live
Installer), so it doesn't show up under Programs and features.
I do have MS-Office installed and checked for a Windows Live Mail installer,
but nothing.
Just for the heck of it, I downloaded WLinstaller.exe and I am going to
install it and after that I will uninstall it. Maybe a miracle awaits me!?
Your other idea about reinstalling Vista clean really doesn't excite me, I
have so much on my PC, I just don't feel like reinstalling all those
programs since Vista runs very stable (SP1 is also installed, with no
problems). Every program works as it should and I believe in :"Never change
a running system".
If I can't get this thing to work, I can live with that.
Anyway, thanks alot for your help and I hope you have an enjoyable and nice
weekend!

(\__/)
************************************************** *************************************************

Old March 1st 08, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
C.B.[_5_]

"C.B." wrote in message
Pete,

Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features. Check your installed
programs and see if you have a listing for Windows Live Installer. If you
find such an entry you can delete it with no detrimental effects as it is
only an installer.

snip

Pete,

I've got a few other things you can try. Please try these things in the
order given. If these steps do not help you let me know and we can try
something else. If I can't help you maybe someone else has some ideas.
First, click on Start, Control Panel, Problem Reports and Solutions.
Check here to see if your fingerprint reader problem is listed and whether
or not there is a link to a fix. If you find nothing here you can go to the
next step.
Next, click on Start and in the search box type Event Viewer, click on
Event Viewer and look at the left pane. Click on any of the entries in the
dropdown menus, especially the "Hardware Events" listed under the
"Applications and Services Logs" heading. Actually, you should view all the
events in this window pane to make sure you have not missed anything. If
this doesn't help, follow the next step.
Disable your browser's Pop-up Blocker. To do this click on Tools and
then click on Pop-up Blocker and then turn it off. To make sure it is turned
off click on Tools again and select Internet Options, Security tab,
Internet. Click on the Custom button, scroll down toward the bottom and
click on the "Disable" radio button under "Use Pop-up Blocker, click OK and
then close and reopen your browser. Go to any login page and see if your
fingerprint reader will now work. If this does not help and you wish to use
the Pop-up blocker you can reenable it.
Next, let's disable AutoComplete to see if it is interfering with your
fingerprint reader. Again, open your browser and click on Tools, Internet
Options, Content tab. Click the Settings button next to AutoComplete,
uncheck all the boxes and click OK. Do not close the Internet Options
window. To make sure AutoComplete is turned off click on the Advanced tab
and scroll down to the "Browsing" category and make sure "Use inline
AutoComplete is unchecked, click OK and close your browser. Open IE again,
go to any login page and try your fingerprint reader. If this does not help
you may wish to reenable AutoComplete.
Next, we can try to run IE with no Add-ons such as activeX controls and
Browser Helper Objects. If your browser is now open you can close it. Click
on the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and select
"Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". This will open IE with all activeX
controls and BHOs disabled. Go to any login webpage (parts of the page may
be disabled due to the lack of activeX controls or BHO addons) and try your
fingerprint reader again. If the fingerprint reader works you have
discovered the cause, which will be one of your IE Add-ons. Now you can
close this browser and reopen the normal IE browser. Click on Tools, Manage
Add-ons, Enable or Disable Add-ons. Make sure the "Show" button displays
"Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer". Leave the first entry in
this list enabled and then click on each additional Add-on and select the
Disable radio button. Close the browser and reopen it. Go to any login page
and try your fingerprint reader. If the fingerprint reader now does not work
you have discovered the cause of the problem and you should remove the
offending activeX or BHO. Close and reopen your browser. Go back to Tools,
Manage Add-ons and repeat this procedure for every entry. If the fingerprint
reader continues to work you can leave these entries enabled. If it doesn't
work see the next step.
Next, click on Start, Control Panel and then Device Manager. You should
have a listing such as "Biometric", or the fingerprint reader could be
listed under "Keyboards" or "Mice and other pointing devices". Right click
on the relevant entry and select Properties. In the Properties window, on
the General tab does it say "This device is working properly"? Click on the
Driver tab and then click on the "Uninstall" button. This will uninstall
your driver for the fingerprint reader, keyboard or mouse. Windows will
automatically detect the uninstall and will reinstall the driver. If not,
close the Device Manager window and reboot your machine. Once you reboot and
log in Windows will automatically detect the uninstalled driver and then
reinstall it for you. Open your browser and go to any login page to
determine whether or not your fingerprint reader is now working. If it is
not working see below.
I don't know if your fingerprint reader is located on your mouse or
your keyboard. Click on Start, Control Panel and then click on Keyboard. In
your Keyboard Properties window click on the Hardware tab. Does it state
that "This device is working properly? If not, click on the Properties
button and see what it says. Make a list of your settings before you click
on Restore Defaults so you can change them back if necessary. If the device
(keyboard) is working properly click on the Key Settings tab and click on
the Restore Defaults button, click Apply and then OK. Next you can go back
to Control Panel and click on Mouse. In the Mouse Properties window click on
the Hardware tab. Does it say "This device is working properly"? Click on
all the other tabs in this window and check for any incorrect settings. If
your browser is open you must close it and reopen it. Try your fingerprint
reader again.
If the previous step does not work, open your "Run" dialog box and type
"services.msc" without the quotation marks. My computer's Services has a
listing for my fingerprint reader and it is called "Biometric Authentication
Service". You may have the same or similar entry or your entry may be listed
as "Mouse" something or "Keyboard" something or even "Microsoft" something.
Make sure the entry is started and the "Startup Type" shows Automatic. If it
does not you must turn it on. To do this right click on the entry and select
Properties. The Startup type should show "Automatic" and the Service status
should show "Started". If not, you must enable them and then click on Apply.
Don't close this Properties window yet. Click on the Dependencies tab at the
top of the window. It will tell you that "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" must
be enabled for your fingerprint reader Services listing to work. You can now
close this Properties window. In the Services window right click on Remote
Procedure Call (RPC) and then Properties. It should be set to Automatic and
it should be started. If not, make the necessary changes and click Apply.
Click on the Dependencies tab and you will see that RPC depends on "DCOM
server Process Launcher" for it to work properly. You can now close this
Properties window and once again, look at the Services window and locate
DCOM server Process Launcher. Right click on it, select Properties and make
sure it is set to Automatic and that it is started. If not, make the
necessary changes and click Apply. Click on the Dependencies tab and you
will see that there are no dependencies for the DCOM server Process
Launcher. You can now close the Services window. If your browser is still
open you must close it and reopen it. Try your fingerprint reader again and
if it works your problems are solved.
If it does not work there could still be some Services that need to be
started, restarted or changed. I am providing a link below for you to click
on. I don't know which edition of Vista you are running so you must look
under the column for your edition of Vista. This link will take you to a
page that lists the default settings for all of your Services. Your Services
will have some entries not on this list and this list will have some
Services not listed on your machine. These are the default settings for all
your Services. Go down the list and make sure your matching Services are set
to the same default settings as listed for your edition of Vista. Use the
"Default" settings, not the Safe, Tweaked or Bare Bones settings. If your
Services entries do not match these default settings you should reopen your
Services and make the necessary changes. It's possible you have changed or
disabled some of the default settings for your Services either knowingly or
unknowingly. Also, some applications will change these Services settings
without your knowledge. If these changes to your Services allow your
fingerprint reader to work you have solved the problem. If not, leave the
correct default settings and close the Services window. Here is the link to
the webpage showing the default settings for your edition of Vista:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Next, we will check your Windows Features settings, to determine
whether or not they are enabled or disabled. Click on Start, Control Panel,
Programs and Features and then select "Turn Windows features on or off"
located on the left pane. I am running Vista Ultimate so I don't know if you
will have the same features and whether or not you have previously altered
them in some manner. These features may or may not have something to do with
your fingerprint reader not working. I really don't know. However, it never
hurts to try. If you make changes to these settings and they do not enable
the fingerprint reader you should reset them to your original settings. Make
a list of your settings before you continue. My default settings for Turn
Windows features on or off are as follows: ActiveX Installer Service is
unchecked. Games are checked. Indexing Service is unchecked (This setting is
for backwards compatibility. It does not have anything to do with Vista's
Indexing service). Internet Information Services is unchecked. Microsoft
..NET Framework 3.0 is shaded blue, with the submenu showing only XPS
checked. Microsoft Message Queue (MSMQ) Server is unchecked. Print Services
is shaded blue, with the submenu showing Internet Printing Client checked.
Remote Differential Compression is checked. Removable Storage Management is
unchecked. RIP Listener is unchecked. Services for NFS is unchecked. Simple
TCPIP services (i.e. echo, daytime etc) is unchecked. SNMP feature is
unchecked. Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications is unchecked. Tablet PC
Optional Components is checked. Telnet Client, Telnet Server and TFTP Client
are unchecked. Windows DFS Replication Service is checked. Windows Fax and
Scan is checked. Windows Meeting Space is checked. Windows Process
Activation Service is unchecked. Windows Ultimate Extras is checked. Click
OK at the bottom of the window and the window will close. If your browser is
open you must close it and reopen it. Go to any login page and see if your
fingerprint reader is now working. If it is working you have discovered the
cause and you can leave the Windows Features settings alone. If this does
not enable your fingerprint reader you can follow the next step listed
below.
Reboot your machine. Click on Start, Computer, C Drive (I'm assuming
your operating system is located on your C Drive. If not, click on the drive
it is located on) and then Programs. Find the folder that contains your
fingerprint reader. Now, leave this as it is and then open your antivirus or
security suite program and locate the "exceptions" or "exclusions" list. Add
every single listing from your fingerprint reader application folder or file
to your antivirus or security suite exceptions (or exclusions) list. You may
be able to just add the folder or you may have to add individual files or
applications. It depends upon which Antivirus application you are using and
the method of adding exceptions. Reboot your machine, go to any login page
and see if your fingerprint reader is now working. If it is working you can
leave all the exceptions listed in your antivirus program. If it is not
working you can either delete these exceptions or leave them as they are.
I don't think your DEP (Data Execution Prevention) setting is causing
the problem. If DEP were the causative factor your browser would
automatically close when you tried to use the fingerprint reader. Once you
have tried all these suggestions, and if your fingerprint reader still does
not work, you can contact me again and we will try something else. The
problem could be a Group Policy issue affecting permissions. You may have to
take ownership of a particular application. It could be an Admin issue. It
could be a lot of things.
The most important thing is this: Don't give up. You can always look at
the situation in a positive manner. You will have learned some things you
did not know before, or if you already know these things you will be
positive that you have tried these steps and they did not work.

C.B.

Old March 11th 08, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
SeanP

Appreciate all the suggestions, but nothing has worked for me. I have owned
the Fingerprint Reader for 1 year with little issues on a Vista Home 32 bit
system.
Came into work Monday the 10th, and it would not recognize website logins.
It reads my fingerprint but will not fill in Id/passwords. I can ven get ito
the login manager to view my passwords, but it won't recognize my old logins
or create new ones. it seems to work the same as it always has, it just won't
fill in anything on the website. I have wasted 6 hours trying everything i
could find online, except for complete re-install. I am at the point of just
giving up and going to the FingerAuth software for Firefox, 30-day trial and
see if it will resolve on its own.

I can't waste anymore time messing with something Microsoft Support cares
very little for. if they did they would have come out with newer versions by
now. 1 software update in 3 years should tell you something about the
priority of this hardware/software for them.