Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Explorer.exe crashes

« - | - »

Old March 12th 08, 12:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Josh Y.

Default Explorer.exe crashes

I'm having BIG issues. I accidentally downloade Virtumonde last night and
have ran McAfee virus scan enterprise and Spybot and both have gotten rid of
the trojan and spyware...at least that's what they tell me. Now spybot tells
me that there are registry changes happening from time to time and anytime I
try to start the control panel or My Computer, explorer.exe crashes and
reboots. I am needing help! I'm about ready to just re-install Vista and go
back to factory settings and start all over again. Any help you can give me
would be greatly appreciated!
Old March 12th 08, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Malke[_2_]

Josh Y. wrote:

I'm having BIG issues. I accidentally downloade Virtumonde last night and
have ran McAfee virus scan enterprise and Spybot and both have gotten rid
of
the trojan and spyware...at least that's what they tell me. Now spybot
tells me that there are registry changes happening from time to time and
anytime I try to start the control panel or My Computer, explorer.exe
crashes and
reboots. I am needing help! I'm about ready to just re-install Vista and
go
back to factory settings and start all over again. Any help you can give
me would be greatly appreciated!

It doesn't sound like the machine is clean. Pick one of the specialty forums
listed below in no particular order, register, read its posting FAQ, and
post a HijackThis log there for guided help. Please do *not* post your HJT
log *here*.

The alternative is to do what you are about ready to do: back up your data
and return the laptop to factory condition.

http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Merijn
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...howtutorial=42 - another
tutorial
http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement and
the stickies *first*.
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

Old March 13th 08, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Josh Y.[_2_]

I did what Malke told me to do and did a Hijack This scan and posted the log
over at aumha...and they've really been working with me. Took about an hour
tonight through various scans and my computer is looking good...so far.
They're going to take a look at more logs and see if there's anything else I
need to look at, but explorer.exe is not failing anymore! And my computer
seems to be running normally! WOW!

My computer was seriously infected...

Old March 13th 08, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Malke[_2_]

Josh Y. wrote:

I did what Malke told me to do and did a Hijack This scan and posted the
log
over at aumha...and they've really been working with me. Took about an
hour tonight through various scans and my computer is looking good...so
far. They're going to take a look at more logs and see if there's anything
else I
need to look at, but explorer.exe is not failing anymore! And my computer
seems to be running normally! WOW!

My computer was seriously infected...

I'm so glad you did this and it's working out for you. The folks over at the
AumHA HJT forums are truly awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to post back here.

Malke