PC-Cillin

Old October 4th 06, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ben

Default PC-Cillin

Anyone else using the software it recommended in the Security Alert (since
Norton is FUBAR). It's called PC-Cillin. I'm very much liking it. Easy to
set up the antivirus, spyware, and firewall settings. Looks like it's going
to be a quality product and not near the processing hog that Norton was.
Old October 5th 06, 04:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Larry

I'm having a problem with it. First of all it was never able to complete an
update and kept giving me error messages. It didn't migrate over when I
installed RC1 over Beta 2 and it won't let me uninstall it. A real joy.

Old October 5th 06, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Gene Fitz

Beware of PC-Cillin. When I originally loaded the beta on my Vista PC, it let
a nasty "Grabber" slip through, and really mucked up my system. I am using
AVAST! now and it seems to work much better. Not to mention, AVAST! is free
for a year, vice only having a 30 day trial period.

Just a thought.

Old October 6th 06, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Telstar

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:46:02 -0700, Gene Fitz
wrote:

Beware of PC-Cillin.

I have to say in favour of Trend Micro that on my system (5600) PC
cillin worked and is working flawlessly. I had to uninstall to
reinstall in a different drive and also that went smoothly too.

I dont particularly like the interface, though.
Old October 6th 06, 05:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
John Barnett MVP

I've used PC-Cillin on all builds of Vista and haven't had any problems.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

mail/post..

Old October 7th 06, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Spirefm

I had 2 problems with Trend Micro's PC-cillin. Their update server had
problems (now fixed) but worse was the cpu hogging at startup - I couldn't
even open Task manager for 2 minutes. I prefer AVG but Avast is good too.
Colin

Old October 7th 06, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
ScottyDog55

I used pc-cillin and experienced a few problems, enough to uninstall when
the vista compatable avast became available. It stopped the Spamta worm
after vista UAC and IE protected mode stopped it first, listing the .js
loader names and stopping their ability to load. Then I got the messege
that spyware has been detected and blocked by avast. So, 2 layrs of
protection with Vista security worrking well
SDog

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

I've used PC-Cillin on all builds of Vista and haven't had any problems.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
the
mail/post..

Old October 7th 06, 12:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Peter

It fails to update with RC2...have tried all their fixes too. Error 28.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"John Barnett MVP" wrote in message
I've used PC-Cillin on all builds of Vista and haven't had any problems.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
this mail/post..

Old October 7th 06, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
John Barnett MVP

My biggest start up problem was the dial up network. While the machine boots
to the desktop ok i have always had a 1 or 2 minute wait before i could
actually do anything. This was while the dial up networking icon was loading
in the notification area. I've taken PC Cillin off and installed Avast but,
while the time needed to load the DUN has slightly decreased it still takes
around 1 minute to load.

I haven't install RC2 yet so i'm hoping that this will cure the problem. I'm
not holding out much hope, but i'll have to wait and see!!

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Old October 8th 06, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Vester

I'm having the same problem, Peter.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/205...6195303ot8.png
--