Trend PC-cillin 14 update fails w/RC2

Old October 7th 06, 12:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Peter

Default Trend PC-cillin 14 update fails w/RC2

I've tried all the remedies at Trends website and nothing will persuade the
application to update...I have a direct internet connection.
It fails "error 28".

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

Old October 7th 06, 04:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
astro999

Peter,
Thats odd, because I still am using Trend PC-Cillin with RC 1 and last night
and this morning I still get the same error message (Error 28) and I have a
high speed internet connection.
Almost about ready to dump them and go with another like AVAST or AVG still
not sure which will give me good protection while using Vista.
--
Thank you
astro999

Old October 7th 06, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
pippin

I had same error today with Trend on RC1 but gave up as I was installing RC2
clean install. I would prefer not to re-install Trend - didn't like Avast
with Beta2 - option for AVG Pro but looks like it has problems with RC2 -
need to get one soon.
Trend's servers did this from time to time as their beta server is not
supposed to be as the one for registered users. I was able to update last
night but not this morning - now I don't know what to install.

Old October 7th 06, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jeff

Both,
I like Avast; just used to it is all.

Jeff

Old October 7th 06, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Peter

Uninstalled it and now using Avast. Would have preferrred to continue with
the TM Pc-Cillin as it included firewall.

Old October 7th 06, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Peter

Avast is OK but don't forget it's anti-virus only. I liked PC-Cillin
because it included a firewall. I wonder if it's servers that are the
problem as I haven't seen too many people complaining? I guess I can
always switch back.
If Trend would only offer support for this it would help.

Old October 7th 06, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
ScottyDog55

Hi guys, PC-Cillin always showed errors and wouldn't upgrade. Avast blocked
a trojan adware with 2 .js loaders. That was after IE protected mode and
UAC stopped it from running. The problem was that after I finally tested
AVC, it detected the regestry entry for coolsearch, which everything had
missed. I used AVG internet security instead of the suite, because I don't
see any problem with running Windows firewall. You can always block a
suspected port, and I've disabled telnet from taskmgr/processes since XP and
before.
Have Fun!
Scott

Old October 8th 06, 01:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Hardhead

I just recieced an update yesterday and everything was fine. There is a
problem with the server. That's why you can't get the latest update.

Old October 8th 06, 10:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Peter

Well I tried installing it again and the same problem persists...server
problems shouldn't last 24+ hours. Switched to Avast.