Old February 15th 07, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JustABloke

Default HCL

Would I be furious if I had been silly enough to buy an incorrect version of
the card?
I do my research. I've invested the time and money in this.

here is the reply from D Link support....

Dear Mark,

you contacted us earlier today because you were having trouble getting your
DWL-G510
to work under Windows Vista.

While D-Link UK has not yet released an official driver, there are a few
other sources that
offer drivers compatible with the card.

Here is the page from the HCL...
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...v.C%29&oid=410

I have every right to be angry about this, I bought this card to replace my
perfectly serviceable linksys adapater, an adapter that link sys were candid
enough to say they were never going to develop 64 bit drivers for.

Perhaps I missunderstood the part of the HCL list where it boasts "devices
just work".

I'm not suggesting that MS should include drivers for everything but the
fact is if it's on that list it should just work; it doesn't and I've no
where to go.
Understandably my vendor is saying "it's SEP,we sold it in good faith."

Where does that leave me? exactly.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

"JustABloke" wrote in message
What is the point of a HCL that contains incorrect information?

I purchased a network card based upon the information contained within the
HCL, it simply doesn't work. I've not been able to find any kind of
network
card wired or wireless that works.

Microsoft and all the various hardware vendors simply shrug their
shoulders
and I am left with the best part of £1000 worth of computer that is
essentially useless to me.
I can't allow Vista itself to see if updated drivers are available for my
cards because I can't get online and there's no way to check for undated
drivers available from microsoft without connecting using your Vista
client.
DLINK categorically state there are no 64 bit drivers available for any of
their products as yet. The HCL clearly identifies DWL- G510 as being
compatible.

According to the HCL only DWL- G510 rev.C is Logoed for Vista under 64 bit.
What revision card are you using?

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Yet another quality product launch from M$.

I am absolutely furious about this.
So I'll wear the cost of my useless op sys but I'm gonna uninstall it
(It'll turn itself off soon anyway because I can't activate it) and it'll
gather dust. When XP is no longer supported I'll switch to Linux.

Nice one Bill ;-)