Can't Install HP L7580 All-In-One

Old April 16th 08, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tom Bean

Default Can't Install HP L7580 All-In-One

Alan,

After sending the response, I checked the dependencies of Remote Procedure
Call (RPC), Shell Hardware Detection and all their dependencies.

I noticed Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is started by Network Service. While
researching the Launch permission issue, I found numerous threads discussing
giving Network Service Launch permission. Since the all-in-one is a network
device, do you think giving Network Service Launch permission would resolve
the problem?

Thanks,
Tom

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Alan,

Yes, the WIA service is configured to start automatically on both systems
and their dependencies are the same, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Shell
Hardware Detection.

Do you think getting WIA to respond before timing out is the solution?

Thanks,
Tom

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote in message
I'm not a scanner guy. If it prints I'm happy. I assume you enabled the
WIA service to start automatically. Verify the service is configured the
same on the working and non working system. Check the dependency tab.

I'll forward the info to someone on the WIA team.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

rights.

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Alan,

I checked my event log after getting the "HP Network Devices Support has
stopped working" message and one of the errors was:

"The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation
permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{10DA4F3C-CC99-4190-BE4D-58330754E882} to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL
SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This
security permission can be modified using the Component Services
administrative tool."

I started Component Services and changed the default permissions to
allow Local Service launch permission then I tried the installation
again. After giving Local Service launch permission, I still got the "HP
Network Devices Support has stopped working" message but the event log
showed the following:

"A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a
transaction response from the stisvc service."

I researched stisvc and found it was the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
service. I have no clue why it is not responding or why the
installation needs to acquire an image but maybe if I solve this timeout
problem, the installation will complete. Do you have any suggestions
about why WIA is timing out?

The installation on my system now has the scanner installed. Device
Manager shows it installed on port 192.168.1.15,subnet:192.168.1.0/24,
but, Scanners and Cameras in Control Panel shows the port as AUTO, When
I test the scanner from Scanners and Cameras in Control Panel, it says
"Your imaging device successfully completed the diagnostic test."

As I said before, I can install the printer using "Add printer..." in
Control Panel on TCP/IP port 192.168.1.15 and print test pages. I was
wondering about trying to install the printer and fax manually using
"Add printer..." to the same port as my working system, TCP/IP port on
192.168.1.15 named HP_192.168.1.15_MY7C3641Q0, to see if the HP
installation would complete.

Is there any difference in using the command line you sent to install
the printer and installing it via Control Panel "Add printer..."?

I can successfully ping the printer using its IP address, 192.168.1.15.
I don't know how to find the name of the network card but isn't pinging
the IP address the same thing?

I shared the printer on my working system and can connect to it from my
system and install the driver. Also, I am currently remoted into my
system and when I open Printers in Control Panel, I see both the printer
and fax installed as "Redirected" on ports TS003 and TS005 which you
indicated were terminal service ports. I don't understand why the
printer and fax are installed when I remote in but aren't found by the
HP installation package. Do you know why this happens?

Any suggestions about how I should proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote in message
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ip

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

rights.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote in message
I don't know why HP Network software is running. I don't think it's
required to print.

Can you ping the hostname of the printer network card? The default is
NPI??????, where ? represents a unique hex value.

I assume at this point the 7580 printer driver is not installed. Can
you share the printer from the working Vista machine in order to make
a connection from machine 2 and install the driver?

Once the print driver is installed launch Add Network Printer from
printmanagement.msc or from command line

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ip

enter the hostname or IP and select the driver from the list of
installed drivers.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

rights.

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Alan,

The only way I have ever been able to print is after I went to
Control Panel\Printers and selected "Add Printer..." and installed
the printer. I never have successfully installed the printer form the
HP installation package.

When I installed it through "Add Printer...", the printer was not
found so I searched by IP address so it was installed on a TCP/IP
port. It then printed the standard Windows test page.

When I install the printer on the other Vista system, an HP test page
was printed. By the way, the system, where the device was
successfully installed, was installed from the CD but neither the CD
nor the newer "Full Install Package" I downloaded from the HP site
works with my system.

I saw a thread from last year where you had responded and mentioned
printmanagement.msc. You also mentioned something about
authentication in one of your replies but didn't elaborate. When I
checked the printer in printmanagement.msd, none of the boxes were
checked under Permissions for my user name. Do you think it would
help if I let the installation proceed until I see the printer again
in printmanagement.msc and set permissions for my user name before
letting the installation go on?

As far as the "HP Network Devices Support" service is concerned, I
don't understand why it is necessary when the printer has a static IP
address and the installation has detected my device. It is only when
the installation tries to complete that the install fails. It has
found the printer but doesn't complete the install and never offers
any information about why it didn't complete.

I am considering exporting all the registry keys containing
"Officejet" or "192.168.1.15" from the Vista system where the printer
works and importing them into the registry on my system to see if the
printer works or the installation succeeds. Do you think this would
work?

If you get this before you leave, I would really appreciate any
thoughts you have.

Thanks,
Tom

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote in message
If you can install and print, it's not a printing issue so I doubt
the issue regards permission on the print drivers directory.

So I assume the "HP Network Devices Support" software is still
running on the other machines. See if you can figure out where
this software lives and the binaries it uses and compare the files
from the working machine to the other

You are no incorrect, the system setup issue was fixed in SP1.

How does HP setup the device to print over the network? Is this an
HP network port or do they use the MS Standard TCP/IP Port?

I'll be gone next week so I can't get back to you on this.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

rights.

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Alan,

I glad you responded. I've seen your posts and you seem to know as
much as anyone else whose messages I've read.

Unfortunately, I've already looked at the KB article you suggested
and checked the version of the Setupapi.dll on my system and I have
a newer version installed. I had already applied Service Pack 1 on
both systems running Vista before installiing the printer. My
assumption, possibly incorrect, is that the newer verion of the
files already have the fix. I have tried, multiple times, deleting
INFCACHE.1 and it does not make any difference.

Your post regarding authentication was the one that intrigued me.
I was going to compare the permissions on the
C:\Windows\System32\spool directory on the system with the system
with the successful install and the system I can't install to see
if there was a difference. About the time I was ready to attempt
the comparison, I got the Event Log messages I reported and the
printer was no longer available. Do you think this could be a
permissons issue? If so, why would two systems running the same
fixes and service pack on the same network/domain behave so
differently?

Do you have any other ideas about what I can try because at this
point I'm ready to try anything?

Thanks,
Tom

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote in message
the (redirected) printers are from a TS session.

"HP Network Devices Support has stopped working". This is
software from HP

This might be the problem

Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the
driver software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
I bought an HP Officejet Pro L7580 All-In-One two weeks ago and
have successfully installed it on another Vista system and a
Windows 2003 server. I am having problems installing it on my
system which also runs Vista. I have assigned a static IP
address, 192.168.1.15, to the printer and can ping it and use IE
to navigate to http://192.168.1.15 and view its properties.

When I initially tried to install the printer, I got to the
"Device Setup" screen which reported that "Device Detected" which
was followed by a message saying "Device Setup has failed to
complete." with a red circle containing a white 'X'. A Windows
message box popped up with the message "HP Network Devices
Support has stopped working". I clicked "Check online for a
solution (recommended)" in this message box but no solution was
found but I have sent more than a half-dozen problem reports to
Microsoft.

Then, I made the mistake of clicking "Next" to continue the
installation thinking I could set the printer up manually after
the wizard completed. After the wizard completed, I tried running
setup.exe again to install the printer but this time it couldn't
even detect the device.

I searched for a resolution to the problem on the Internet but
all I found was a lot of postings making various suggestions
which were reported to work by some and not work by most. Over
the two weeks I have had the printer, I have tried most if not
all of them. I uninstalled the software, downloaded the
"scrubber" package from HP and ran it, downloaded the latest
version of the installation package from HP, deleted INFCACHE.1,
and most of the other suggestions (not solutions) and tried to
set up the printer again. I had the same result, it couldn't
detect the device.

After HP's set up was unable to detect the printer, I went to
Printers in Control Panel and right-clicked in the empty space on
the right side and selected "Add Printer...". Windows was able
to find the printer, install it and successfully print a test
page. This limited functionality, however, is not the reason I
bought an "All-In-One" device. I want it all to work as it does
on the other Vista system.

I performed a system restore using a restore point set before I
got the printer. After restoring my system, I was able to
recreate my initial installation attempt where the device was
detected but the "Device Setup has failed to complete" again. I
have been sitting here for two days hiting the "Retry" button
after making the various changes suggested in the postings on the
Internet.

I have looked in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers
and used printmanagement.msc to see if the printer was installed.
It showed up as "HP Officejet Pro L7500 Series (redirected 1)" in
both the registry and printmanagement.msc, I'm uncertain what
the "(redirected 1)" means as this is the first time I ever saw
anything like it. There was also an entry for "Fax (redirected
1/copy 1)" which I assume is the fax functionality of the L7580.

After a few hours, messages appeared in my Event Log stating
"Printer HP Officejet Pro L7500 Series (redirected 1) was
deleted, and users will no longer be able to print to this
printer." and "Printer Fax (redirected 1/copy 1) was deleted, and
users will no longer be able to print to this printer." When I
checked the registry and printmanagement.msc, the printer and fax
were gone.

Some of the posts I've read say the printer won't be removed
without user interaction, however, my Event Log makes me believe
differently. Some of the posts indicate the reason the install
fails is a permissions issue. I can believe that because of all
of the problems with "Access Denied" messages from Vista.

I'm posting to this group because some people from Microsoft
reply, whereas, no one from HP ever responds to any of the posts
on their forums or if HP people do respond, they never identify
themselves. If I was HP and had a solution, I would post it as a
highlighted link on my main web site based on the number of
complaints in their forums and the effect it must be having on
their reputation.

As I've pointed out, I've tried all of the suggestions I can find
but have not found any that allow me to set up the printer on my
system. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Tom

Old April 18th 08, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tom Bean

Alan,

At the same time the scanner is installed, an "Unknown Device" is inatalled
on my system. When I restart my system, a box pops up asking if I want to
install a driver for my device. When I select the "Recommended" selction,
to search for a driver, it pauses for several minutes and another box comes
up. This box says:

"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your
device.
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
atempting to install it.
HP Officejet Pro L7500 series
An error occurred during the installation of the device.
The driver cannot be installed because it is either not digitally signed or
not signed in the appropriate manner. Contact your hardware vendor.
If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
check the support section for driver software."

I'm sorry I didn't tell you this before but I have had this happen every
time I tried to let Windows try to install a driver for the "Unknown
Device". Every driver I have looked at is either signed by HP or Microsoft
so I don't know where the unsigned driver is comng from.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Old April 18th 08, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

It's very easy to make a signed driver unsigned. It's as simple as adding a
space in one of the inf files.

The unsigned driver may not be the driver for the printer. You'd need some
tools to verify signing. For printer drivers, I normally just run through
the add driver wizard, but this will not confirm storage drivers, only
printer class devices.

When you Launch Add Driver, is there a list of manufactures and models on
the Printer Driver Selection page?

Old April 20th 08, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tom Bean

Alan,

When I use Control Panel Add printer... and input the IP address of the
printer and the Port Name HP_192.168.1.15_MY7C3641Q0 which is the same as
the port name used on the system where the HP install package worked, it
finds the printer. The "Install the Printer Driver" window opens and
contains a list of manufacturers and models. I selected "HP" the driver for
the "HP Officejet Pro L7500 Series" is in the model list and when I selected
it, the message at the bottom of the window says "This driver is digitally
signed."

When I hit next, the window changed to one with "Which version of the driver
do you want to use?" "Windows detected that a driver is already installed
for this printer." Below were the following two choices: "Use the driver
that is currently installed (Recommended); and "Replace the current driver".
I opened Print Management before hitting "Next" and the HP Officejet Pro
L7500 Series" printer was already listed. I let the wizard complete and
successfully printed the "Windows Printer Test Page".

When I compared the settings for the printer on my system (S1) with the one
on the system where the HP installation successfully completed (S2), the
differences a 1) Location: Blank on S1 and
"IP=192.168.1.15,Host=HP4D06C4" on S2 (I changed S1's Location to match);
2) SNMP Status Enabled: Checked on S1 but Unchecked on S2; 3) Port
HP_192.168.1.15_MY7C3641Q0: shows "HP Officejet Pro L7500 Series" on S1 and
"HP Officejet Pro L7500 series fax; HP Officejet Pro L7500 series" on S2;
4) Enable bidirectional support is checked on S1 and disabled on S2.

At this point, I tried to install the fax using Add printer... When I
specified the same port as the printer was on, HP_192.168.1.15_MY7C3641Q0
but a box popped up saying "A port with that name already exists. Choose
another port name." I assume the printer and fax are installed on the same
port by the installation package by making registry changes. Is that
correct?

I let the fax installation continue but the only driver found by Windows or
on the HP installation CD was for the printer. I tried running the Fax.msi
installation file on the CD but all it did was pop a window saying the
installation was starting, close it, and nothing else happened. I looked at
the .inf files and the driver files on the CD and none of the names indicate
anything about them being for the fax.

The only way I can think of to get the fax installed is to install the
printer again, using the name "HP Officejet Pro L7500 Series Fax" and change
its drivers to match those on the system where the install HP succeeded. Is
this a feasible way to install the fax or is there a better way?

Old April 21st 08, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

You can have endless ports pointing to the same IP address as long as they
have different port names. Only one can print at a time.

Are you using the Standard TCP/IP Port monitor or a port monitor from HP on
both machines. I don't fax so unsure how the fax printer stuff is supposed
to work. From the configuration on the other machine, the Fax Printer
driver is a different driver than the printer
--

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
[...]

confers no rights.

Old April 21st 08, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tom Bean

The port monitor is Standart TCP/IP, nothing from HP.

The Location of the printer and fax are different but both are installed on
the same port. How do you think HP got both the printer and fax installed
on the same port?

Do you think my idea of installing the printer again and changing the
drivers to match the fax drivers on the system the HP installation was
successful will work?

Have you heard anything from the WIA group regarding why it is timing out?

Old April 22nd 08, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

I don't know how the fax stuff works. If the fax software sends data over
tcp raw 9100 ports than the same port would be fine. I set up multiple
printers targeting the same IP all the time.

no word back but I pinged again.

Yes add the fax printer using the Fax driver. I think that's the only way
HP designed it to work.

Old April 28th 08, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tom Bean

Alan,

I thought I'd let you know that it looks like I got everything installed
over the weekend. As I told you previously, the HP installation package
installed the scanner and I successfully added the printer using Control
Panel's Add printer..., so the only piece missing was the fax which couldn't
be added with the Add printers... wizard because no fax driver shows in the
list.

In order to add the fax, I searched the registry of the system where the HP
install was successful for the "HP Officejet Pro L7500 Series Fax" string.
I exported the keys from that system made any necessary changes, like
serverName, to the .reg file and imported it to my system. It seems to me
that importing the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\HP Officejet Pro L7500 Series Fax" key was
most important because it contains driver information.

I rebooted my system and the HP Solution Center was able to find the device
and I ran "Test Fax Setup" and it was successful.

Since so many people seem to have problems setting up HP All-In-Ones, it
seems strange that HP hasn't released a manual installation procedure for
use by those where the installation package fails. It looks like it would
be as simple as adding a "HP Officejet Pro L7500 Series Fax" entry to
Control Panel's Add printer... wizard. If my experience, where the HP
software was able to see the device after all the components were installed,
is typical, most of the issues with installation would go away.

I appreciate your assistance through this ordeal. Of course, as many
problems as I encountered, I'm reluctant to say the pain is over.

Maybe my experience will help you help others and possibly give HP some
ideas about how to improve their installation/troubleshooting.

Old August 28th 08, 04:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
bob414

Had the same problem, my motherboard was a XFX with Ndivia network
drivers. Ndivia has a update driver for the network. Installed update
and HP installed as advertized.

--
bob414
bob414's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/bob414.htm