Back up to a remote storage device

Old April 12th 08, 03:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank

Default Back up to a remote storage device

I configured windows to control the computer backup, sending the data to an
external hard drive. The system displays the hardrive name & location, so I
know it connected. However, the back up never succeeds. What can I do?
--
Best regards,

Frank
Old April 12th 08, 01:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

Is the format of the external hard drive FAT32 ?
-------
*Report back, please*

Old April 12th 08, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Frank

Thanks Bob. Yes it is. I tried to change the format using the command
prompt, but it did not work. I tried re-installing it this morning & found
that I another fundamental problem that may prevent the use of the external
hard drive. After launching the installation program for the hard drive,
nothing happened. Eventually I got an error message; "An error occurred
while launching the setup. The Remote procedure call failed". I have seen
this error several time while trying to install software recently. My virus
scan is up to date & full scans have revealed nothing amiss. Now what?
--
Best regards,

Frank

Old April 12th 08, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob

The FAT32 file system has a 4 GB limit for the size of file that it can
accept to be saved onto it. This means that any attempt to save a file that
is larger than 4 GB will be met with an error message of “Disk is full or
Not enough space” even though the hard drive may have a large amount of
space still available.

Google "convert fat32 ntfs".
-------
*Report back, please*