Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

I cannot enable Windows Aero.

« - | - »

Old October 9th 06, 09:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
AeroVista

Default I cannot enable Windows Aero.

Why can't I enable Windows Aero?

I have Nvidia Geforce 5200
Pentium 4 2.03Ghz
512MB memory
30GB Hard Disk

Why can't I?
Anyone can help me. Please Help!!!!!
Last time i can enable in Vista 5728.
Now in RC2, i cannot enable at all.
Anyone can help me?
Old October 9th 06, 11:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Gabor977

I can't enable too in RC2. How can I do it?

Old October 9th 06, 01:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Damir

For all you that lost aero..its a known issue that will be fixed in RTM, and
its due to having 512 mb of ram.
Anyways, the workaround(from aeroxp)

1/ Ensure that you have the following registry value set to :

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPol icy set to 2 (32-bit
DWORD)

2/ Restart DWM by opening a command prompt with administrative privileges :

- Type 'net stop uxsms'
- Then 'net start uxsms'

Old October 9th 06, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Steven Wimer

This fix works but question. How do you open up a command prompt with admin
privileges? I used services.msc to do it instead of net stop.

"Damir" wrote in message
For all you that lost aero..its a known issue that will be fixed in RTM,
and its due to having 512 mb of ram.
Anyways, the workaround(from aeroxp)

1/ Ensure that you have the following registry value set to :

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPol icy set to 2 (32-bit
DWORD)

2/ Restart DWM by opening a command prompt with administrative privileges
:

- Type 'net stop uxsms'
- Then 'net start uxsms'

Old October 9th 06, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kerry Brown

Steven Wimer wrote:
This fix works but question. How do you open up a command prompt
with admin privileges? I used services.msc to do it instead of net
stop.

Copy the shortcut for a command prompt from the start menu to your desktop.
When you want an elevated command prompt right click the shortcut and pick
Run as administrator. You can do the same thing through search "cmd.exe" or
even navigate the start menu and right click it there. I find it convenient
to have a shortcut on the desktop.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old October 9th 06, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Eyejon

I could not get Aero to work until I rolled back from Nvidia's 64 bit Vista
driver! It works fine now. I also followed the steps further down this
posting on modifying the registry.

Good Luck,

Eyejon

Old October 9th 06, 07:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Vipin

Is ATI better than Nvidia when it comes to harnessing the graphics potential
of the Windows Vista? Can someone share their experiences on a faster GPU?

--
Vipin Aravind
http://blogs.explorewindows.com

Old October 9th 06, 07:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Vipin

btw, Nvidia guys were saying that the Aero is enabled on 6x and 7x series.
Surprised to know that it is possible to run Aero with 5x series.

Old October 9th 06, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Cheddarhead

Time for me to fork over for a new GPU... my box wont run aero even after
reg hack. I have Geforce 4200ti. Yeah, I know... its time

Terry

Anybody have any suggestions on ATI or Nvidia for best performance with
Vista??

Old October 9th 06, 10:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Dave Nuttall

Is ATI better than Nvidia when it comes to harnessing the graphics potential
of the Windows Vista? Can someone share their experiences on a faster GPU?

I have an ASUS EAX1600PRo (ATI RADEON X1600PRO GPU) with 512MB.

On RC1 I used the Catalyst RC1 drivers from ATI; on RC2 I am using the
default driver from MS.

Everything works just fine...

« - | - »