Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Can't View Defrag Progress

Old October 13th 06, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
tmansc

Default Can't View Defrag Progress

I can't find a way to view the progress of defragmenter in Vista RC1. Is
there a way?
Old October 13th 06, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
drw1304

I too wish I could see the progress. It may sound weird but I miss watching
it do something, you almost wonder if it is doing anything at all.

Old October 14th 06, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
pippin

I think this is the biggest but report for Vista most are missing a GUI with
defrag. in Vista - I like this not to watch the paint dry but to have some
sort of visual to know what level has been reached plus see the finished
result - sadly it is not there 3rd party software may win this bit of
Vista.

Old October 14th 06, 12:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Robert Moir

drw1304 wrote:
I too wish I could see the progress. It may sound weird but I miss
watching it do something, you almost wonder if it is doing anything
at all.

This might explain things
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pages/440717.aspx

turns out that progress meter that people liked to watch was actually
meaningless and inaccurate.

If you want to watch something move while a defrag takes place, I recommend
putting on a movie and not obsessing over a low level disk operation that
shouldn't need us to worry about it.

--
Robert Moir

www.robertmoir.com

Old October 15th 06, 06:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Spirefm

Yea, but I'm one of those guys that like to peer through a fence and watch
workmen on a building site. Colin

Old October 16th 06, 02:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Andrew

I am trying AusLogics Disk Defrag program . It has graphics progress future,
and it works in Vista. (I am using Vista RC1)

Old October 18th 06, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Robert Moir

Spirefm wrote:
Yea, but I'm one of those guys that like to peer through a fence and
watch workmen on a building site. Colin

Sure and it's your computer, so go for it. But with XP's defrag, it turns
out that what you were watching through the hole in the fence was a film of
the time the workmen were defragging a disk that was like your but slightly
different.

Old October 20th 06, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Telstar

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:11:01 -0700, tmansc
wrote:

I can't find a way to view the progress of defragmenter in Vista RC1. Is
there a way?

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
Old July 23rd 09, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
rjaffeux

Well weather it's accurate or not i would like to be able to see
something. I understand that one wasn't right but with all the added
things these days you would think they could make it right. or at least
some kind of meter. I wouldn't mind trying a different program but it's
annoying when they program is already on the computer and it doesn't do
what we all want. They should make it to make people happy.

--
rjaffeux
Old July 23rd 09, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Raymond Shaw

rjaffeux wrote:

Well weather it's accurate or not i would like to be able to see

"weather" is what you see/feel when you leave your abode.

something. I understand that one wasn't right but with all the added
things these days you would think they could make it right. or at least
some kind of meter. I wouldn't mind trying a different program but it's
annoying when they program is already on the computer and it doesn't do
what we all want. They should make it to make people happy.

That's what booze, sex and marijuana are for.

Nothing Microsoft can do will beat those.