Folder view settings is a MESS!

Old November 26th 06, 01:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
AlexMastah

Default Folder view settings is a MESS!

This thing happend second time, on another new account.
After perfectly customizing my personal folders view and settings,
everything worked fine until I checked "Show hidden files". My system files
started to look like "Pictures and Video" folder - on the root of C: i have
detailed view and "Play all" button (yea, play me some config files). I can't
customize system partition like other partitions. When I switch it back to
tiles or whatever, my Music folder changes too. I have "Remeber each
folder..." unchecked since I don't want Windows to remember EACH folder, only
customization settings, and looks like this is the source of mess.
Looks like this function is buggy just like in the XP ;( .
Old November 27th 06, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Alice

Well, mess and buggy is maybe too harsh but confusing it certainly is.
Hopefully some documentation will be published that explains how this works,
since I'm still hopefull there *is* some logic behind this all.

A nice surprise is that Open and Save windows now remember the settings in
View (list, details, icons) between uses, even in pre-Vista programs.
Old December 17th 06, 07:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Yes, this is a PITA right from the days of Windows XP. I've written a program that can fix the folder template for the specified folder, automatically. I'll post the link once the page and the utility is published. It works in Windows XP and in Vista.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Old December 17th 06, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Alice

Well, I've never had that problem to the same extent as now in Vista. I am
looking forward to that program. Is it a registry problem?

Old December 17th 06, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Yes. It's because the shell sniffs the folder contents unnecessarily for special folders and drives. The solution (written for XP) is here, by Keith Miller:

Common Tasks Don’t Match Folder Type
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

Old December 17th 06, 12:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh, MS-MVP

And the program is here. I'm yet to write an article on it's usage.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/temp/fixfoldertemplate.exe

Old December 17th 06, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Walter Blanchard [Walter B]

Thanks, Ramesh. Waiting for the article before I use it.

--

Walter B
walterb[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com