data d

Old May 19th 08, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roddy[_2_]

Default data d

HI, I get a message come up on my vista Acer, the Data d disk is nearly
full, how do I cure this problem as the recycle bin is empty??? and do
I need to do anything about it, will it fill up? puter is 7months old,
step by step instructions please not extreemly comp literate.
Rod

--
roddy
Old May 19th 08, 02:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"roddy" wrote in message

HI, I get a message come up on my vista Acer, the Data d disk is nearly
full, how do I cure this problem as the recycle bin is empty??? and do
I need to do anything about it, will it fill up? puter is 7months old,
step by step instructions please not extreemly comp literate.
Rod

--
roddy

You have used a backup utility which, by default, has saved to a location
other than the C drive. The backup utility has done its job correctly, BUT
the only location other than C drive on your computer is the RECOVERY
partition.

The recovery partition is sized such that it will hold an image with which
you can 'return to factory' while at the same time not prompting a 'disc
full' message.

You need to navigate to the D drive and remove any backups which you have
sent to it. The warning messages will then stop..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old May 19th 08, 03:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote in message
BUT the only location other than C drive on your computer is the
RECOVERY partition.

Hmmm. Not necessarily. My Toshiba Satellite came, from the shop, with two
partitions, and the D drive is NOT a "recovery" partition. Acer may be
different, but the OP says it's called "Data" which to me says that it's not
a recovery partition....
But the OP shouldn't be backing up to the only physical HDD anyway...

Old May 19th 08, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
propman[_2_]

Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
"roddy" wrote in message

[...]

Not here on my Acer Aspire 7720 laptop....320 gig HD partitioned into
two partitions (C: and D plus a hidden 10 gig recovery partition. The
D partition I use for my Ubuntu Linux install. AFAIK, the dual
partition is standard from Acer....or in some cases there will be two
separate HD's installed (this fact taken from their documentation).

The "DATA" partition can store any kind of files that the C: partion
can; it's just not bootable without some kind of boot loader installed.

You are correct though in stating that the D "DATA" partition could be
full of recovery files but then again it could be full of "Debbie does
Dallas" type files too! grin Either way, the OP needs to dejunk
his/her system or upgrade to additional storage. :-)

Old May 19th 08, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roddy[_2_]

Debbie bane of my life, dejunk is it an easy thing to do??? Rod:frown:

--
roddy
Old May 19th 08, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"roddy" wrote in message

Debbie bane of my life, dejunk is it an easy thing to do??? Rod:frown:

--
roddy

Relatively so.. dump old defunct backups.. save stuff to CD/DVD or an
external USB drive..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old May 28th 08, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roddy[_2_]

Mike Hi, I didn't reply straight away as I have been trying to find out
how to dejunk, still none the wiser. I clicked the window, my files or
all files on puter, box comes up recycle bin empty. I did have auto
backup going (which I have stopped now), so can only think data d is
full of old backups any ideas.

--
roddy